"What?" I sputtered. "I—but I'm—Jadzia I'm attracted to men. In theory, at least—I mean, I get crushes on them and I think about them. It's not a matter of heteronormativity."

"Heteronormativity isn't just the societal pressure to date people of the opposite gender—" Jadzia insisted, smiling at me knowingly while cutting herself off to take a sip of her raktajino. "It's also the idea that you have to perform sexually in order to please a partner. Do you ever find yourself trying to please your partner like that, and then realize you're not interested at all?"

"Mm..." I mumbled, but it still didn't feel quite right. I wasn't asexual. I couldn't be. "No. I mean, sometimes, I guess? But I don't do it just for the other person. I do it because I think I want it. Like, I'm aroused. But then I do it, and making out just... doesn't make me feel anything."

"Maybe you just haven't found the right person then," she suggested. I sighed softly.

"I've dated so many people..." I explained before biting my lip. "I mean, at this point, how could I..." I tapped against my blue mug and sighed before taking a sip.

"It's not easy to find someone you feel wowed by," Jadzia said. I nodded. We sat in silence for a minute until I noticed motion near the staircase of the slow moving restaurant. A lean figure caught my eye and I suddenly tensed up, clenching my fist tight around the ceramic. Julian Bashir.

"Hey... [Y/N]?" Jadzia asked quietly. I almost didn't notice her at first, but after a half second too long, I looked back her. "Are you okay? You're white knuckling that drink."

"Oh—oh," I said, letting it go. Jadzia turned her head in the direction I was looking. Her eyebrows raised when she caught sight of him.

"What about Julian has your pants in a twist?" She asked. I scowled at my mug and traced along the seam where the bottom well met the top.

"I... know I don't feel much, like we were saying, but I did say I do get crushes," I explained. I gestured subtly at Julian. "That, there, is an aforementioned crush."

An eerie smirk settled on Jadzia's lips.

"Is that so?" She asked. Julian turned his head in our direction and I quickly looked back at my cup, as though it weren't obvious that we had both been staring at him. When I realized Jadzia was still maintaining eye-contact, I kicked her under the table.

"Hey—come on," she said, giving me a look. "He's my friend. I'm allowed to look at him." Before I could respond, she turned back towards him and gave him a little wave. I crumpled over my drink and cupped my forehead in my hands. "Oh—he's coming over." My fingers curled more tightly against my skull.

"Hello Jadzia," a familiar English voice twittered in a chipper tone. "[Y/N]." I lifted my face quickly from where I'd been hiding it and gave Julian a forced smile.

"Hey Julian!" Jadzia said.

"Hi." My voice was curt, in contrast to my counterpart's.

"What are you two doing here? I usually get lunch with Garak at this table."

"Oh, just getting some food on our lunch break. We finished studying those blighted plant samples from Cardassia, so we were able to finish up early." Jadzia explained. Julian rested his arm against the back of my chair while she spoke to him, and even though we weren't touching, my back prickled where I could sense his arm was. "[Y/N] did a great job figuring out what was wrong with them. It wasn't actually an infection—the isotopes making up the plants were just decaying at a faster rate than normal. There might be some radioactive waste runoff from the colony near the collection site." Jadzia winked at me and I blushed.