(Twenty Four)

(Twenty Four)

A calming effect comes over me as I step into the boiling hot water of the shower. It feels incredible to stand with my head tipped back and just let myself be clean. I turn the water up to the hottest it can go and close my eyes.

I feel like there's something we're missing. So far everything has gone too smoothly, too well, too primetime TV show, for it to be true. Yesterday felt like an episode of CSI--we had contacts, we knew where everything was, we had names. I don't like that every link in the investigation fit so perfectly to one another. It's like they wanted to be found. Maybe, I tell myself, it's because of the whole Underworld system. Maybe they don't expect people to inquire so they don't bother making excuses. But that doesn't seem right either because the murder was so staged and purposeful.

Whoever is behind all of this--whoever paid Simon--must have some master plan. They must've chosen the Luna pack for a reason and they must've chosen the Hand to Hand stadium for a reason. I try to fit this together with Zane's political theory but I just don't know enough yet. I have pieces but I don't know what I'm trying to puzzle together.

Maybe I should've gone with Gray. I don't want anything bad to happen to him especially after he saved me. Everyone seems to be saving me nowadays--Gray, Zane, Ryker. I owe way too many people. And now I owe Gray even more because I didn't even walk with him and try to calm him down. It's not like I didn't care. As the beads of water roll down over me, I have to admit to myself that it's the sudden revelation of his devout faithfulness that shocked me. I guess I just felt suddenly disconnected from him like I didn't know him at all. Not that I knew him before.

Gray seems to have as many secrets as Ryker. But with Gray, if I learn about his religion and his family maybe I can connect with him. Honestly, I'm starting to like Gray. Just a little.

For the rest of the shower, I try to piece together the investigation but every time I think of Simon I think of his dead body and Gray sobbing over it. Eventually I recite movie scenes out loud to stop myself from thinking.

When I get out of the shower I notice a soft ringing sound. I frown, listening closer. Is that the doorbell? Pulling my clothes on, I head downstairs and peer at the glass door. A figure stands outside impatiently, tapping their foot and knocking on the door.

Joan?

"Um, hi," I greet as I open the door. Joan stands before me in a tight pink dress that she really shouldn't be wearing. "Ah...what are you doing here Joan?"

"We're going out, remember?" she giggles, way too excited for herself. I frown, scratching my soaking head. My hair is dripping right onto the polished floor.

"Wasn't that next Saturday?"

"I couldn't wait any longer," Joan admits, grinning from ear to ear. "You're free so let's go!"

"This is kind of random," I gulp, looking over my shoulder. Zane isn't even home. Couldn't Joan have texted me or something first? Like normal people? Then again, normal is a foreign concept to me now.

"Are you going to let me in or just make me stand here?" I step back wearily and let Joan into the foyer, hoping there's nothing weird going on in the house right now. Suddenly, I remember Charlie and I take a step back, eyeing Joan up. Charlie has never met Joan but I'd never seen him with my mum either.

"So Joan, where's my date?" I ask, testing her. She spins around and giggles, putting a hand on my shoulder.

"Jeremy is going to meet us there babe, I'm so excited for you to meet him you don't even understand." Okay, that puts a little bit of faith into me. It definitely sounds like Joan. I think of the perfect way to test her and I smirk.