xix: ariana takes exams

Start from the beginning

"Hermione?" Ron said cautiously, because she was liable to explode when interrupted these days. "Er -- are you sure you've copied down these times right?"

"What?" snapped Hermione, picking up the exam schedule and examining it. "Yes, of course I have."

"Is there any point asking how you're going to sit for two exams at once?" said Harry.

"No," said Hermione shortly. "Have either of you seen my copy of Numerology and Gramatica?"

"Oh, yeah, I borrowed it for a bit of bedtime reading," said Ron, but very quietly. Hermione started shifting heaps of parchment around on her table, looking for the book. Just then, there was a rustle at the window and Hedwig fluttered through it, a note tightly clutched in her beak.

"It's from Hagrid," said Harry, ripping the note open. "Buckbeak's appeal, - it's set for the sixth."

"That's the day we finish our exam," said Hermione, still looking everywhere for her Arithmancy book. Ariana handed the book the stressed girl. Hermione sent her a relieved smile and went back to her work.

"And they're coming up here to do it," said Harry, still reading the letter. "Someone from the Ministry of Magic and – and an executioner!"

Hermione looked up, startled.

"They're bringing an executioner to the appeal! But that sounds like they've already decided!"

"Yeah," said Ariana slowly. "Sounds exactly like they have."

"They can't!" Ron howled. "I've spent ages reading up stuff for him, they can't just ignore it all!"

But Ariana had a feeling nothing Ron would do could change the mind of the committee. They already had their minds made up by Lucius Malfoy. Draco's mood had finally lifted since his defeat against Gryffindor, and had regained some of his old swagger. He made seething comments about how he knew Buckbeak was going to die, and that he had brought it about. It took Ginny, Luna and Neville to stop Ariana punching him again. But the worse part was that they couldn't even visit Buckbeak before the trial due to the strict measures, and Harry was still to scared to go get his invisibility cloak from the one-eyed witch.

𐐪𐑂 ♡ 𐐪𐑂 ₒ 𐐪𐑂 ♡ 𐐪𐑂 °

Exam week started and a hush fell over the castle. Ariana had gotten Ginny to check over the examination rules (which were five yards of parchment in length) and confirmed that use of the translating charm was acceptable, as long at the student was able to perform the spell by themselves.

Her first exam was practical Transfiguration, and thankfully it went ok. She sat down beside Ginny and served herself some food as read over he charms notes.

"How'd Transfiguration go?" asked Ginny, grabbing a sandwich.

Ariana shrugged. "I'm pretty sure I did well. We had to transform teapots into tortoises. I did it, but it had the pattern of the teapot on its shell."

Ginny smiled. "But you fully transformed it?"

Ariana nodded.

"Ari! You did it!"

Ariana smiled, looking up from the notes. "I did, didn't I!"

"Told you it'd be fine."

"I guess I should just trust you more then?"

"You should."

The two smiled at each other, before turning back to their notes. Ginny peered over Ariana's shoulders. "Hold on a sec- what language is that?"