12. shakespeare debate

Beginne am Anfang

    She couldn't help herself but murmur under her breath, "You're ridiculous."

    And she knew her words didn't have the right timing or the conversation for it. Especially when he used his dad's voice on her, "Everleigh."

    It sends chills down her back as she straightens her posture. Her voice softens but continues bringing up the reasons, "You haven't even met the girl yet."

    "Who said I haven't?"

    Her shoulders drop as she rolls her eyes, muttering the words, "Great. Just wonderful."

    It was starting to feel as if the conversation wasn't going anywhere and more so tossing the subject back and forth, "Give Rory a chance," Everleigh stays quiet, "Eve."

    "Now you sound like Blaze." She looks down at her plate, defeated.

    "If he can be friends with her, why can't you?" He genuinely wonders.

    She doesn't look at him and starts eating her food again, "Why can't we just drop this whole thing."

    Her father observes the way his daughter reflected on his words and how tiny she felt so he gives a few seconds until replying, "Just...try, please. I really like Lorelai and I would like for us all to get along together."

    The thing is, Everleigh, even before knowing who the mystery woman was, was aware of his feelings and how his eyes would light up whenever mentioning her. Or the way he was so nervous before going out on a date last night. She wanted her dad to be happy no matter who he ended up with. She'd put his happiness before hers and if it meant having to tolerate Rory around in a future, she'll do it. All it took for her was to just glance up at him, to see her dad looking at her hopefully.

     Sighing heavily, she finally says, "Fine."

━━━━━━━▼━━━━━━━

      Meanwhile in another household, the same topic erupted;

     "Mom!"

     "Rory, that's enough." Lorelai warns, both standing in the living room together. Facing each other, "We're ending this discussion."

     "It's too soon," Ignoring her mother's request, she carries on.

     "Do you seriously think I was waiting for Mark to appear in my life?" The woman waves her hands around, "He was so charming and maybe, yes, it was too soon and bad timing but it just felt... right."

    "But he's Everleigh's dad."

    "Oh so that's enough reason for us to not see each other — It was one date, Rory."

     "So there won't be any more dates. It was just one date, right?" Rory looks at mom optimistically.

     "It's my life, Rory," Lorelai defends herself to her own daughter," What happened between me and Max is our business. The only reason why you're so against this whole thing is because of Everleigh."

     "No, it's not." Stubbornness kicks in as she crosses her arms, not before tugging a strand of hair behind her ear.

    "Then why?" The woman pushes further, "Why don't you like Everleigh."

    "She doesn't like me."

    "She's just protective over Dean. You two broke up before and she knows all about it. He was hurt. If Dean broke your heart right now, Lane wouldn't like him either. It's what best friends do for each other. — Clearly there's something else. Is it Blaze? Do you like him? Because —" Lorelai couldn't help but to chuckle dryly, "Recently I've seen you more with him than Dean."