Part 7

Upstead + intelligence go to a hockey game. Jay and Hailey try to hide their relationship but an unexpected factor throws a wrench in their plan.

Requested by siryeetacus

Jay's POV:

It's a regular Friday afternoon and I'm trying to finish my paperwork so I can enjoy my weekend. Voight's given us a rare day off and since the last one didn't go as planned, I want to take Hailey out on a date. I haven't told her yet, I want it to be a surprise, but that plan basically backfires on me when Ruzek announces that he got tickets to the Blackhawks game that's tomorrow. As much as I want to go, me and Hailey haven't told the team about us yet, and selfishly I want her all to myself tomorrow. So of course the one time she doesn't get what I'm saying nonverbally is right now.

"Sure, I'd love to go." She shoots me a weird look because I'm making faces at her to try and get her to decline. It doesn't work.

"Yeah, I'm in," I finally relent, glaring at Hailey before I get up and walk to the locker room, hoping she'll follow me. She does.

"What the hell was that?" She hissed, closing the locker room door behind her.

"I don't know, since when did you stop understanding me?" She looks genuinely confused so I elaborate. "I was trying to tell you to not accept the tickets because I want to take you out on a date."

"Were you not paying attention to Ruzek? The game is literally in the middle of the day, it ends at 3:00. That's too early to go to a bar afterwards so you could've taken me on a date in the evening. You can. Take me on a date, I mean, after the game." She pauses, waiting for my reaction.

I smile. "I guess I'll keep the reservations." She widens her eyes in surprise.

"Yes, you heard me right. No takeout on the couch, no random new bar. I'm going to take you out on a real date." She grins widely and steps closer to me, wrapping her arms around my torso.

"I can't wait."

I bend down and press my lips against hers softly.

"Ahem." Someone clears their throats loudly. "I hate to interrupt but not really. How long has this been going on?" Kim's standing at the door of the locker room.

"How long have you been standing there? Why didn't you knock?" Hailey asks, flustered.

"Long enough to know you guys are together, and going on a date after the game tomorrow. Also I did knock, you guys were too busy eating each other's faces to notice." Kim says, and Hailey blushes, hiding her face against me. "Now answer my question." Kim demands.

"A few months. We've been together a few months. Four months."

Kim looks shocked. "Maybe I shouldn't become a detective if I couldn't have figured this out sooner." I shrug, and she takes this as her cue to leave.

. . .

Hailey's POV:

When we get to the rink, it's cold. As much as I want to cuddle into Jay, I don't, because I don't want the rest of the team to find out yet. The game starts and I feel Jay looking at me. I turn to him and he leans over to whisper in my ear.

"I really wanna kiss you right now."

I smirk. "You're gonna have to contain yourself." I whisper back. I notice Kim eyeing us and I turn back to the game.

. . .

At intermission we all get up to get snacks. I head for the popcorn with Adam while everyone else goes to get coffee. As I'm waiting for it to be made, Jay sneaks up behind me.

"Make sure you don't ruin your appetite." He says in a low voice.

I smile. "So you're taking me out to dinner." I say back. He just shrugs and turns to leave before Adam notices him.

. . .

Jay's POV:

At second intermission, something else happens. The kiss cam comes up. I can practically feel the anxiety coming off Hailey and I know exactly what she's thinking. I know she doesn't want to tell anyone yet but I wouldn't mind. I decide that if the cam lands on us, I'll kiss her. If not, I'll wait until she wants to tell the team. I watch the kiss cam make its way around the arena. I can feel Hailey become more and more tense as the camera comes closer to our area.

And it lands on us.

We've talked about telling the team, but never narrowed down when. I guess now is better than never.

So I kiss her.

I try to keep if brief for Hailey's sake, but of course the rest of them see.

"Wow, I'm surprised she didn't punch you." Adam says.

"I'm surprised I didn't punch him." Hailey seems genuinely alarmed but I can read between the lines. She's just putting up a front so we don't actually have to admit our relationship to the team. I smirk knowingly at her hoping no one else will notice, but of course Kev does.

"What's with the smirk Halstead? You two a thing and decided not to tell?"

"It seriously took you guys that long to figure it out?" Kim cuts in, and Hailey and me both turn to glare at her.

"Actually, we still hadn't. But thanks for confirming Burgess." Kevin says.

Hailey slides down in her seat, probably embarrassed. I want to intervene but would probably only make the situation worse. Thankfully, the intermission ends. As the game resumes, I wrap my arm around Hailey's shoulder and pull her against me.

Hey y'all. So I know it's been over a month since I've uploaded. I would like to promise that I'll upload every week from now on, but I'm honestly super busy. About a month ago I started my final year of high school and because of covid I have a quadmester (2 classes for 1/4 of the year). After I finish an assignment I get another one right away, and I'm also balancing that with driving lessons, cross country, and the school newspaper (and uni applications). I hope to upload soon but I don't think I'll have time. I really hope y'all enjoyed this one-shot, I tried my best.