Intro.

Esined. S-nihd

I covered my head, attempting to dodge hits from my dad. I was balled up in a corner as he swung lefts and rights at me.

"Eric stop!" My mama cried, pulling him by the waist. "She didn't know!"

He continued to swing at me, connecting his fist with my ribs.

Today was no different than any other day in this hell hole. My dad was taking his anger out on me for telling his sister where we lived. None of our family ever visited and didn't know where we lived. When they found out where we lived, he'd move us to a different place. He was embarrassed. He had too much pride to even ask his family for help. We'd been struggling for years now. Things hadn't been the same since my little sister, Erica, passed.

It no longer phased me how I lived. It only phased me when I saw other kids and their rich parents. I always wanted to be like them kids on tv. Living with my rich parents in a huge mansion. Eating and not having to skip a meal or a few. Shoes that are new, not worn out shoes that are taped up. Having new jeans that fit me, not jeans passed down so many times that maybe my great great great grandma wore them. Shirts that ain't have holes in the collar or in the middle next to my navel. Cute coats and jackets that'd keep me warm in the winter and fall, not the ones that's all ripped up on the inside and won't zip up.

I often daydreamed as my dad took his anger out on me. It helped me distract myself from his blows.

"Gone to your room!" His country accent roared once he finished sending blows to me.

I gained up my strength and began to walk pass him. I walked slowly, causing him to slap me upside my head.

"Hur' up na'! Get out my damn sight, Ned!" He yelled.

I rushed through my pain to my room.

"You need to stop hitting her! That ain't gon' solve our problems!" Mama yelled.

I laid on my mattress, that was on the floor, and stared up at the ceiling.

I knew that they'd argue all night.

I turned onto my side and stared at the wall as tears began to escape from my eyes. I wiped them and closed them.

In the middle of the night my stomach began to growl. I stood up, wincing in pain. I touched the spots where my dad had punched me hours before and sucked in air.

I quietly went into the kitchen and reached on top of the fridge, grabbing a slice of bread from the bag. I closed it and match it back to where my dad placed it before. I went back into my room and sat on my bed, eating the dry bread. I looked at the clock and it was three in the morning. I decided to get the two hours of sleep left that I had until I had to get ready for school.

"Esined, it's time to wake up for school, baby," Mama shook me softly.

I rubbed my eyes after sitting up.

"How ya feeling?"

"My sides hurt," I said.

"You want some ice?"

"I'll be fine. Thanks Mama. Water still cold?"

She nodded. "Your clothes are dry. I just took 'em off the hanger. They're in the bathroom,"

"Thank you," I stood up and went to the bathroom. I washed up at the sink and put my clothes on. I brushed my teeth then put on my socks. I looked up, seeing my dad standing at the door, staring at me.

"Five minutes," was all he said before walking away. Meaning that in five minutes, if I wasn't ready, he'd be leaving me and I'd have to walk.

I went back to my room before putting on my shoes, seeing that they were ripped open at the top again. "Mama!" I yelled.