pyrrhic. [obi-wan x reader] (1/2)

words: 3.6k

warnings: none, but as always lmk if i missed anything!

a/n: this is a rewrite of my first obi-wan oneshot from six years ago. i'll be writing a sequel to this soon, but until then I hope y'all enjoy! <3

"Jocasta, is that you?" A voice whispers from across the archive desk you're currently hidden under. You start at the suddenness of it and hit your head hard against the wood, yelping with pain.

"Oh, I'm sorry!" the voice says. "I thought--"

Cradling your head with one hand, you crawl out from underneath the desk and stand, coming face-to-face with Master Kenobi. He stares at you a moment before saying, "I'm not sure what I thought."

"Jocasta's busy at the moment," you tell him. "Can I help you?"

He glances at your head. "Shouldn't I be asking that?"

You remove your hand from your head. "I'm fine."

"Are you sure? I can find someone else--"

"I'm sure," you promise. "How may I help?"

Master Kenobi clears his throat. "Ah, yes. I noticed an error in the Kamino file I'd like corrected."

"Of course," you reply with a nod, sliding a datapad over to him. "Applications for corrections are here."

As he fills out the application, you rest your elbow on the desk, chin planted on your fist. His eyes wander to you once, twice, before he says, "You're Master Mundi's padawan, aren't you?"

"Mhm," you confirm. "And you're Master Kenobi."

"Yes, I am. How did you know?"

"It'd be difficult not to recognize you after your victory on Geonosis."

Master Kenobi hums low as he continues with the application. "Rather a pyrrhic victory..."

"Pyrrhic? How so?"

Master Kenobi shakes his head. "I hardly think that beginning a war and failing our role as the peacekeepers of the galaxy is worth winning a single battle. The cost of the victory was too great to justify it. A pyrrhic victory."

You ponder this as he finishes the application and hands the datapad back. "I wouldn't consider Geonosis a pyrrhic victory," you conclude, more to yourself than him.

"No?" he says, quirking his brow.

"This war was planned for some time," you say. "It was always going to happen. We gained an advantage in discovering the Separatists' plot early and winning the first battle. The victory was worth the cost."

Master Kenobi considers you a moment before allowing you a small smile. "You have an interesting point of view."

"I'll take that as a compliment."

"It was one." Without another word, Master Kenobi turns and leaves. You're still staring after him when he walks away.

It's a week later when Anakin Skywalker passes the Trials. Anakin Skywalker who's two years younger than you and started training six years after. And you're still sorting holofiles in the archives. It's what you're doing when you see Master Kenobi again. He's in the next aisle with his back to you, and you catch a glimpse of him through a gap in the shelves.

"Master Kenobi?" you whisper.

He lifts his head and turns around, brows furrowed in confusion. "Oh, it's you!" he says when he meets your eyes.