Chapter 17: Elrin's Demolition

Start from the beginning

❥❥❥

Once done, I was led out by Elrin himself. Rhianna winked at me, smiling softly. I returned the wink, trying not to stumble from being practically dragged by the male. He stopped me suddenly, grabbing my throat and pulling me to him.

"This is what's about to happen." He began. "Your two little mates are coming to see you. You're to tell them that you're being well taken care of, treated like a Queen, and that you do not wish to return." He instructed. I almost laughed at how stupid he sounded.

"But I'm their mate. They wouldn't believe that for a—"

"You will do as you're told." He snapped, his grip on my throat tightening. I gulped, nodding at him as he led me out of the camp, right into the wood.

We reached a clearing, and there stood my mates with at least 10 guards all around them. My throat swelled and tears threatened to fall when I locked eyes with them. First, Rhysand. Then, Tamlin. They looked shocked at me, probably not expecting to see me so well dressed. I looked at them with fear in my eyes, a silent plea. They understood.

"High lords, here is your female." He gestured to me. "Well, now my female." He chuckled. "As you can see, she is well taken care of. Happy, even." He looked at me expectantly to play my part.

"It's true." I said. Trying to make my voice be as steady as possible. "He treats me like a queen. Far better than you two ever treated me." It pained me to say it. They looked at me in faked shock, seeing right through it. "No need to worry about me anymore."

Elrin pressed his lips to mine, biting my bottom one to make me kiss back. I did, and resisted the vomit that threatened to come out.

"No more threats, unless, of course you want to see her guts spilled beneath your noses." Elrin casually said, picking at his nails as if he were bored.

Suddenly, Rhys's darkness exploded. He shielded me as the soldiers around him turned into a bloody mist. Elrin snarled, using his own magic to knock Rhy's and Tamlin down. When he did so, I noticed something shining on his neck. I looked closer, to see a red gem flashing with power. Before he could stop me, too focused on my mates, I snatched the gem from around his neck, the cord breaking. He looked at me with fury, pulling out his sword before Tamlin turned into his beastly form, part wolf and bear as he pounced on him, tearing his throat out. I shielded my eyes, stumbling into Rhysand's chest.
I sobbed, the gem still in my hand as he held me.
"Shh. We're here, Alanna. You're safe now." He pulled back. "Let's go home—"

"Wait!" I shouted, remembering Rhianna. "There's someone that needs help."

I took off, heading toward her tent. She sat there, turning around in shock, looking at the gem in my hand.

"Did you—"

"Let's go! Now's you're chance." I said, grabbing her hand as I ran with her back to Rhys and Tamlin. She kept up with me, shaking her head in disbelief.

"How did you get that thing off his neck? Do you know how many before you have tried?" I shook my head, now seeing my mates before me.
I held Rhys's hand as he winnowed all of us back to the Spring Court.

We arrived in the front door of the manor, Rhianna stunned.

"I really got out..." She mused, shaking her head as if she thought she were dreaming.

"You're out. You're free." I said, hugging her.

"The bargain, it's still open on my end." I stopped her.

"Don't worry about it. Tamlin's emissary, Lucien, is from Autumn court. He can—"

"Did you say Lucien?" Her eyes widened, and Lucien came down the stairs, locking eyes with her. He nearly fell down the steps as that russet eye filled with tears, stumbling to get her in his arms.

"Rhianna..." He said, hugging her tightly. "I thought I'd never see you again..." Tamlin arched a brow. Lucien held her hand in his, turning to his high lord.

"This is Rhianna. I never told you about her because I thought..." He sighed, not wanting to finish the sentence.

"Excuse us." He said, leading her out of the manor, arm in arm.

I sighed, unable to believe what I just had witnessed. Two lovers reuniting was almost as good as three, I thought as I looked at my high lords.

I looked at the gem in my hand, it's power still contained. Rhys noticed, silently gesturing for me to give it to him.

"What is it?" I asked, curious.

"I've never seen it before. Whatever it is, it was made by dark magic. It's how he was able to do what he did, having no actual magic of his own." Rhys explained, taking it and vanishing it. I looked at him, shocked.

"Don't worry. It's in a safe place for my second, Amren, to find." I nodded, recalling Amren from Velaris.

"Alanna darling..." Rhys picked me up, walking me upstairs, Tamlin following next to us. Silently, Tamlin undressed me, putting me in one of his shirts and a pair of Rhys's boxers as he sighted the littering of bruises and cuts that laid beneath the dress that covered me so well.

"Rhys." Tamlin called, his tone dark. He spun around, looking at all the marks with hate and anger in his eyes.

"We felt it...down the bond...but this, this..." He was truly at loss for words. Tears silently spilled down both sets of eyes as they kissed the marks on me, as if it healed them. Healed me.

"I am so, so sorry. This should have never even happened I am beyond—" I pressed a finger to Rhys's lips, shaking my head.

"I did it. It's my fault, I left of my own free will. I thought that if I didn't then you and all of Prythian would be in danger." I explained, hating how stupid it sounded coming out.

Tamlin put a hand on my cheek. "It's not your fault. You're so selfless...so brave." He looked at Rhysand. "Our beautiful, brave girl." He pressed a kiss to my forehead. "No one's going to hurt you ever again."

My mates tucked me in, sliding in bed beside me. And though it had not been more than a couple days that I was without them, I missed them holding me close at night. I knew they would be there for me, stitching up the lingering scars.

I slept safely on their arms that night, wanting to forget everything that had happened until tomorrow.