chapter one

Eva Montgomery

Wanna know what my favourite thing is in the world? My fake ID.
I got my fake ID last year, I bought it from a sketchy website on my laptop but in all honesty it was the best $30 I've ever spent.

My tradition every Friday night is to go to a nightclub with my best friend, Grace. We both got our fake ID's at the same time, (last year) and ever since we received ours in the mail we have used it every single week without fail.
Grace and I always go to the same place every week, it's a nightclub called 'Candy', it's a secretive place on the end of a quiet street (which a weird place to have a nightclub), we both have never seen anyone from our school in there, which is a good thing. The club isn't all that fancy, the majority of the dance floor is full of trashy girls who just want a one night stand but I only go for two main reasons. 1) The alcohol is cheap. 2) It's the only place that I can get into with my fake ID because the bouncers don't take much notice.

I know what you're probably thinking... Eva, you're 17 years old, you're not even legal to drink alcohol for another four years and where the hell are your parents while you party until 5am?

Long story short...my dad is in jail, he got sentenced to 7 years last year, he was a drug dealer, (and also a drug user) he kept it behind my mine and my mom's back for so many years, we had no idea that he was doing this until a cop found a stash of cocaine in his car and he immediately got arrested.
My mother on the other hand... She works non stop and rarely has time to speak to me, she thinks I spend my weekends at Grace's house, her eyes never leave her laptop as she frantically types away at business emails to even notice that I'm experiencing a major hangover from my Friday nights at Candy nightclub.
I'm an only child and I've been independent my whole life since my dad cared more about his drugs and my mother never payed any attention to me considering her job is the most important thing in her life. My life basically sucks so getting absolutely shitfaced every weekend with my bestfriend brings me a little joy.

"Eva, are we going to start getting ready now?"

I nodded and lifted one finger up to my bestfriend as I read the last line in my fashion magazine, twirling my gum around my finger. I scanned my eyes across the paper once more and closed the pages, throwing the magazine at the end of my bed.

"What time are we going out?" I asked, stretching my arms above my head letting out a little yawn.

"Um, I don't know." She mumbled, brushing on some face powder onto her complexion. "Twelve O'clock?"

"Sure." I nodded in agreement because usually the club started to get more lively later on, it's kinda embarrassing going before midnight, it's like a ghost town.

"Hey...So I was thinking maybe we could go to that new nightclub that opened last week?" Grace shrugged, turning away from her reflection in the mirror. "It's called Cherry Red or something?"

I shook my head, furrowing my eyebrows. "But what about Candy?"

"Yeah... but Eva, aren't you getting a little bit bored of going to the same club and seeing the same people trashy people every week?" Grace questioned raising a brow at me through the mirror.

"I guess so." I shrugged. "But we know that we can get into Candy with our fake ID's, what if the new nightclub is more strict?"

Grace turned back around to face me. "Well, if they turn us away we can always go to back to Candy where we know for sure we can get in to."

"Oh, good point! We might as well try it." I smiled, standing up to grab my makeup bag. "Let's get ready it's like 9pm now."

Grace and I started to get ready to go out, sitting on my bedroom floor in front of the long mirror on my wall, sharing makeup products and gossiping about boys at our school. My mother was currently at her new boyfriends house (who I have not met yet, surprise fucking surprise) so this means we would be able to get out of my house in our usual clubbing attire instead of sneaking out my bedroom window.