Chapter 7

That night Draco had another nightmare. He cried out in his sleep and thrashed in sweaty sheets.

Hermione woke from the sounds and got out of bed, wand in hand. It paid to be attentive to her surroundings after getting through the war.

She knocked on his door but he didn't reply.

"Malfoy? I'm coming in."

She opened the door, peaking her head in and he didn't look to be awake properly. Casting a lumos she came closer to the bed.

Shook his shoulder and hissed his name.

It didn't work so she slapped him on the arm. Stirring a little he blinked up at her.

"What?" he slurred out.

Hermione leaned back and he slowly sat up at the same time. He leaned slumped against the headboard looking through his eyelashes at her.

He didn't look that much more awake now.

Cleared her throat and asked, "do you want some water?"

Opened his mouth to speak but she interrupted.

"No, I'll, uh, just-"

She fled the room and ran a glass under the tap and came back. He was still sat in the same position.

Handed the glass over to him

He cleared his throat and said thanks to her. She stood away, just hovering, before he finally said, "Just have a seat, Granger."

He gestured to the end of the bed diagonal to him.

"Do you want to talk about it?" she asked and she sat gingerly on the bed. She was a little too aware of how short her shorts were now. And too thin at the tops of her thighs.

She tried not to pay attention to it as she tugged them down as far as they could go.

"No."

"OK," she drew out. "What do you want then?"

His jaw clenched. Then relaxed. He looked back at her, staring into what felt like her soul.

"You tell me, you came here."

"That's 'cause I heard you having a nightmare. I'm not about to leave you to it."

He kept looking at her. The glass in his hand. "I didn't ask you to. I'm not Potter or Weasel. I don't need your codling."

She squirmed a little under his gaze but she wasn't going to back down. "I would have done it for anyone. You're not special."

He looked like that was exactly what he expected to hear. There was a pause that drew out for too long to be comfortable.

"No. Of course not," he said. He took a sip and set the glass down. "Very kind of you."

"Aim to please."

"You do, don't you?"

"Don't take this the wrong way. Or do, I don't care," she paused, "but you need help. Like real mind healers."

"Don't care, do you?" he said.

"Stop trying to deflect, Malfoy," she said. The poster of the bed was digging into her back now. As if she was unconsciously leaning away. She shifted her crossed legs and said, "It would be better for both of us. I wouldn't have to be up in the middle of the night and you could sleep better."

He made an affirmative noise as if he agreed but didn't put it into words.

"You'll see a healer then?"

"I'll get some Dreamless Sleep."

She was about to object but held back. It was enough of a comprimise. Instead she said, "OK. Fine."

He raised an eyebrow.

Hermione changed the subject before she would focus too much on how his features were so sharp and perfect.

"How long have you been having the nightmares?"

Malfoy seemed to weigh up his answer before saying, "Too long. Years now."

He looked away to the door and swallowed.

"Why not do anything before?"

He snapped back at her with more strength in his voice now. "Dreamless Sleep is addictive, Granger. You ought to know that."

"Don't give me attitude. And I do know that, but I meant do something else, like talk to someone or try face your issues."

He turned back to her. "I'm talking to you now, aren't I?"

He doesn't even look apologetic.

She shrugged and said, "I'm not a mind healer so can't do any proper helping, and I cant take the place of one entirely. So don't take anything I say too seriously but I could try help. Although a disclaimer is that I still have nightmares that follow me around too."

"Like what?"

She almost wants to glare at him for being so obvious. But he hasn't shot down her idea so she's taking this as a win. She'll make him squirm a but first.

"I don't know, how about being tortured by your aunt in your ballroom? Or the months I spent on the run in a constant state of paranoia. That tends to stick with a person."

"Right, sorry," he said. He looks her in the eye now. "Granger. I- I'm so sorry. I am so sorry I didn't help when she tortured you. That I just stood there, there's no excuse. And I don't deserve your forgiveness but I still hope you consider it. It'll take more than this but I really am so sorry."

Malfoy runs a hand through his hair with a grimace.

She feels a bit taken aback but rebounds quickly. "Good. So you know it'll take more than that. But call me Hermione now. If we're going to be having these regular trauma dumps."

"Uh, yeah sure. Hermione," he said. "Call me by my name too."

She nods and starts to get up. "Better try bet some sleep now. There's still night left.

Goodnight, Draco."

She begins to close the door and hears him.

"Goodnight, Hermione."

She smiles to herself.