No phone, no friends, streets rampant with chaos. Roads backed up from people abandoning their vehicles. Screaming everywhere. 

You should find Sasha.

Yes, you should do that. She's the only other person you know in this damn area; you need to make sure she's okay. Once you find her, the two of you can figure out something together.

Navigating the streets stretches the fifteen minute walk to well over an hour. There's too many instances of you ducking into a building, hands tight around your axe as people run by, screaming, being chased by what feels like an army of the undead. It's complete and total madness.

One of the stores you hide in ends up having a shit ton of perfume. You douse yourself in the stuff, hoping to mask your scent the best you can.

You have to kill three zombies on the way there.

The first, you saw coming a long way off. It wasn't necessarily fast, but it was still disgusting and horribly terrifying. You had at least ten seconds to mentally prepare yourself before you embedded your axe in its skull and stopped it cold.

The second took you by surprise. You got lucky; it missed you when it lunged and you manage to crush its skull by smacking it repeatedly with a piece of wood. Unfortunately, you'd screamed when it lunged, which attracted the third zombie. Thankfully, it didn't lumber into view until you'd killed the second one and recovered your axe, which you used to bludgeon the third.

You can't even allow yourself to process that these used to be humans. They're all dead, senseless creatures: there's no saving them now.

When you find Sasha's workplace, the glass of the door is shattered.

"Sasha?" you murmur, stepping through the broken door. Your fingers are shaking around the wooden handle of your axe.

No one replies. But you can hear something in the background.

...Oh my god. Is that... chewing?

Bile builds up in your throat as you carefully step forwards, broken glass crunching under your boots. You're trying to prepare yourself for the worst, but you don't know if you can handle it. 

You step towards the back kitchen and you have to swallow your scream: there's a bloodied corpse laying in the way. It's a blond man, laying on his back, blood leaking from his head. He doesn't have the red eyes or the sagging skin that you've seen some of the other zombies start to take on; he must've died naturally. Maybe he struck his head on something

Have to find Sasha.

Tightening your grip on your axe, you step around him. 

The chewing sound is becoming just a little bit louder, and you're shaking so badly that you're surprised you haven't fallen over yet. You're too scared to try and say Sasha's name, so you move in silence, trying to follow the sound.

You can make out a bit more- another sound above the munching. It sounds... almost like a crackling flame?

You step around a corner and immediately freeze up. 

There's movement in front of you. It's a figure with its back to you, head down, hands clawing at... oh, god, clawing at a dead body beneath it. It's a zombie eating someone else, someone with long brown hair and dark, empty eyes and...

"No," you moan, stumbling backwards until you can grab the counter for support. "No, no-"

The zombie turns. There's blood drizzling from its gaping mouth as its bloodshot eyes land on you. It's hideous, not much different in appearance from the other zombies you've seen, but the blood dripping from its jaw and the person it's hovered over and this whole damn situation are making you dizzy-