Chapter 36 - Disaster

A terrible fear gripped me as I climbed out of Legend on Pan's heels. I could barely hear the boys far in the distance. A strong feeling came bubbling from within me...something about Nate and Will, a memory I couldn't quite grasp. I filtered through the events of the past few days. Nate pushing Will from the tree.... Nate threatening Will when he had come to my rescue at the river.... something about Will getting in his way for the last time.

I wasn't sure why Will had said he was responsible for the poison, most likely to save me, but I knew he was innocent. It made perfect sense, Nate was the one who set the whole thing up, even going so far as to poison Byron, his only real ally. Pan had to see that!

"Pan." I called out. He didn't give any acknowledgment that he heard me.

"Pan!" I let my voice rise. Still no response. The boy in green pushed through the brush ahead of me.

He wasn't listening, he had no intention of listening. This could only mean he had already made up his mind and that did not look good for Will. I had to do something.

"Pan!" I shouted, sprinting to close the distance between us and made a grab for his arm. Without even looking he had anticipated my move and jerked his arm out of my reach. I nearly fell. Anger started to simmer beneath my skin. I sprinted around in front of him trying to stand in his way, but he made no eye contact.

"You know I'm right, that's why you won't respond to me." I shouted as he passed. That did it. Pan turned to give me a cold stare. I had his attention and I needed to make the most of it.

"It's so obvious this was a set up!"

"Obvious to a bias point of view?" Pan replied sardonically, as if explaining to a child.

"I may be on Will's side, but it is because he wouldn't do something like this and totally something Nate would do! You should know that better than anyone!" I yelled, exasperated.

"Nate has his faults as do all the boys, but the hardness that he has endured has made him as he is." Pan offered.

I locked my jaw temporarily, trying to keep my tongue under control. The internal battle raging within me heightened as I saw the smooth intelligence and collected demeanor of the boy in front of me. His looming presence was suffocating, and I felt trapped within his fiery orbs. Now was not the time to get lost in his eyes!

"So, you would condemn an innocent boy?!" I forced out. I thought I saw an inkling of contemplation on the hardened face, but he quickly turned away. My mind started to panic, and I thought I was losing him so I yelled out the only thing I could think of.

"It's because you're jealous, isn't it?!" there was no response. I noticed I was holding my breath at the palpable tension. Pan had still said nothing. There was shouting from the boys in the distance, and I growled inwardly, realizing I wasn't getting anywhere with Pan. Completely frustrated I made my way past him, pressing on through the forest and wracking my brain for some way I could fix the situation.

Biting pain shot up my scalp like lighting and it took a moment for my brain to register my hair was being violently yanked backwards. The wind was knocked out of me as my back slammed up against a nearby tree trunk.

I trembled in shock, the rough bark digging relentlessly into my back. Pan's fingers locked my hair in a vice grip, forcing my head backwards to stare up at an unforgiving face. Too late I saw the mistake I had made in my word choice. The forest in his eyes was set ablaze.

"I didn't dismiss you." He snarled. I couldn't stop the whimper that stole from my lips. The corner of his mouth twitched in satisfaction at my response.