Part 27: Screams of the wind

Start from the beginning

     "I apologize, I shouldn't have done that Delilah." The sincerity was evident in his voice.

      "It's okay, it's not your fault."

     His lips pursed into a thin line. "Just know one this Delilah. You can stop worrying, you are safe. I'm a police officer, I have a top-of-the-line security system and dog. You can stop running now. No ones going to hurt you anymore." He pointed at the intimidatingly large canine that I still didn't feel comfortable around. She was laying across the room, her figure firm in a sitting position.

     I tried my best to believe him, I wanted to, plus there was something so familiar about him, something I couldn't quite put my finger on, maybe it was the tone he was using but it did help me convince myself that he was right...For now, at least, it was enough for me to go to bed with my fear at ease.

    I nodded, flashing him a closed-mouth smile. "Thank you, Anthony."

     "You don't have to thank me, it's my pleasure." His attention moved to the whistling of the kettle.

     His hand reached a shelf over his head causing the sleeve of his shirt to rise with his movement revealing a black shaded tattoo of a compass on his upper right shoulder.

     "How much would you like?"

     My breaths became gelid as the room began to spin around me. This couldn't be, it couldn't be. His mannerisms, his voice, his tattoo everything was more than a coincidence. My hands began to rattle underneath the countertop. This was the man who tried to kill me, this was the man that tried to assault me. My heart dropped, the impossible was happening. Before me was a walking corpse. Last I saw of him, he was lying lifeless in a pool of his crimson blood. How could he be alive?

      His eyes stared down at me. "I know not everyone likes the same amount."

     "W-what?" I asked my mind racing, losing track of our conversation.

      "How much tea would you like?" His eyebrows furrowed.

      "Just a little," I choked out.

      I knew that I needed to act normal, that I couldn't act out of impulses. I had gone through too much to fall into the same trap again. I had to be calm and collected even though my inner-self was screaming.

       He slid the mug over to me, noticing my tensed body.

        "Are you okay?"

        I swallowed. "Yeah, my stomach just hurts, but I'm sure this will help, thanks," I slowly rose from the stool with tea in one hand, using my left to stop it from shaking.

      "Well I hope you feel better and get in some sleep, goodnight Delilah," He said, voice steady.

    How could someone so wicked, cynical, and treacherous speak with so much ease, so much tenderness and facility? Someone who almost took the last thing I had away from me.

      I fought the expressions of anger off my face and said, " Goodnight." Leaving him in the kitchen while he sipped on his milk.

          I held in my breath as I inched down the hall to where I believed he couldn't see me anymore, my figure consumed by the darkness that lingered near the guest room, away from the illuminating kitchen. A shaky breath parted from my lips, this couldn't be happening, I was nauseous, my hands becoming clammy. I wanted to believe that my mind was playing tricks on me, that I was going mad. I pinched my arm which indicated me otherwise.

          My stomach dropped as I rushed into my room expecting to see Lucy but she was nowhere in sight. I ran a pair of unsteady fingers through my hair, attempting to keep myself calm and collected but I was far from it. I couldn't leave her here, not with that lying beast. What was I going to do? How was I going to get me and her out of here? My options were limited and the clock was ticking. I had to focus on my objective, getting out of this house, going back to the police station, and telling them everything. Hopefully, without Anthony noticing I'm gone, maybe like that he wouldn't hurt Lucy and I'd have time. I had to focus on my objective. I pulled on the sneakers that I had left beside the bed and grabbed a backpack my aunt had in the closet, filling it with clothes that I would need and toothpaste. I have been running for a while and I knew better than to leave without anything on my back. I was prepared now.

        I waited quietly for a while, not taking any chances. I wanted to wait for Anthony to go to sleep, once I heard the door of his room close, I waited five minutes which soon turned to thirty. Now was my time to leave. I couldn't sit here and do anything, I wouldn't wait for my death. I wasn't taking any chances anymore.

        I slipped on a raincoat, pulling the hood over my head, the wind and rain outside didn't ease and it wasn't going to for a while because we were in the middle of a tropical storm. Holding the bag tight against my body I slipped away from the room, calculating every inch of my surroundings, no one in sight. I rushed back to the kitchen and looked for car keys, the ones my aunt had left by the kitchen counter but they were no where to be seen. Cursing under my breath I looked anywhere I could think of, next to the back door and by the living room. Even by the garage but they weren't there. Pacing back and forth I thought back at where Anthony might have put them when he came home. I rushed to the small lamp table that was at the entrance of the home and there they were.

       I thanked the Lord and went out to the driveway as quietly as I possibly could. The wind blew and caressed my cheek as rain poured from above. The wind gained hold of the trees and bushes, swaying them violently taking branches and leaves with it, calling them to follow. I ran to the truck as I scrambled, looking impatiently for the key that belonged to it, I was almost there.

       "Delilah?" A shiver crawled up my spine as my heart fell to the pit of my stomach.

     It was him.

***

Author's Note:

Hey guys! I hope you are all enjoying my story, all the new readers have been a blessing and all the ones that have stayed are a gem! I can't believe I have reached 150k reads on this story. Even back then when I reached 10k I couldn't believe it ! This is all thanks to you! I know I have said this before many times but because of you all my dream of being a writer have persisted and I can't thank you all enough for it all. Hopefully you guys will enjoy the next chapter, I'm working on it and I'm so excited to finish it. Hope you all have a wonderful new year and stay safe.

Love- Aster <3