Chapter Two

~~~~~~~~  Falling asleep with your phone by your head was a death wish

~~~~~~~~
  Falling asleep with your phone by your head was a death wish. The shrill ring coming from my phone woke me up two hours before I had planned. Caelan's name popped up and I cursed. They were a morning person, which meant waking up at 8:00 on a weekend was sleeping in late. That was not the case for me.

"What." I grumbled out.

"Don't 'what' me. I tried calling you last night after I got home and you didn't answer! You said we'd talk after I met Carter's parents."

"Oh shit." I had gotten so worried about Toryn last night I forgot to stay up like I said I would. "I am so sorry. Let me take you to breakfast and coffee to make it up to you. You can tell me all about it there."

"I have a study group at-"

"12:00. I know." I cut them off. Before they could say anything else I hit the end call button and hung up. They were stubborn but so was I.

  Carter, Fenia, Devva and I all had a detailed calendar of Caelan's schedule for the next two weeks. We got a new one every second Friday like clockwork. It was weird at first but now it helped us all know when they could hang out with us. I think Carter even found it cute. I snorted to myself at the thought and climbed out of bed.

  Five minutes later my face was washed, my skin was moisturized and my teeth were brushed. I smiled at myself in the mirror. I hadn't been this productive in weeks. I glanced out of the open bathroom door and into my room. Maybe I'd even do laundry. My eyes fell to the pile of clothes in the corner. Maybe not...

~~~~~~

"I've been waiting for forever." Caelan groaned as soon I walked into the coffee shop door. I loved the atmosphere here. Whenever I could I'd stop by, do homework and have a coffee. It was busier than usual today. The rustic looking tables were filled with two or more people and there was a rather lengthy line. I didn't even have to look to know that Caelan already had my usual coffee order across from them at the two person table.

  I sat down and sipped on the caramel cold brew with oatmilk in front of me. "I called you," I unlocked my phone and flipped to my recent calls. "15 minutes ago. That's record time for me."

"I got here 10 minutes ago. Do better." They teased with mock disappointment. I rolled my eyes jokingly.

"Okay. Spill." I leaned in closer, gripping my coffee in my hand and they did the same. I loved hearing about people's lives. I guess I was technically nosey but I liked to say I was just curious.

"I got there and I introduced myself first of all. They were both super welcoming and respected me. I was sort of shocked because they're in their like 60's." They moved their hands dramatically as they talked and I glanced down in amusement. "Anyway, we sat down and Carter pulled out a chair for me and both of his parents. We talked for a while. I told them how I was majoring in English and wanted to be a college professor. They were so proud of Carter for pursuing art it was amazing to see how supportive they are. Val...I think I'm in love with his parents."

I chuckled. "I don't blame you. Your parents aren't exactly parents of the year. The most they've done for you is give you enough money so they wouldn't ever have to talk with you again. Lovely of them." I scowled as I thought about their parents and the disgusting way they treated their child.

Their shoulders dropped. "Why did we have to get the shitty end of the stick with parents?"

I shrugged. "The universe decided we were too perfect and needed to give us at least one flaw."

"Damn right."

The door to the coffee shop chimed, signaling a new customer. I glanced to the door out of instinct. I almost looked away when a few familiar faces caught my eye. Carter and...Toryn. They were laughing and talking together like old friends. What. The. Fuck.

I spun around to Caelan. "Carter's here." Their eyebrows crinkled slight and I realized my face was twisted into a nasty scowl. "Sorry um...that guy Carter's with, does he know him?"

"Oh yeah I forgot to tell you. Carter wanted me to meet his friend from high school so I told them they could come by." They got quiet. "Why...?"

I leaned in so close my hair was almost dipping into their coffee. "I also knew him from high school and that's not a good thing." Carter and Toryn were getting closer to our table so I sat back. "I'll explain to everyone some other time."

"Hey Lany," I held back a snort at Carter's nickname for Caelan. I had no room to laugh. Not with what he had thought up for me.   "Guys, this is Toryn, a friend from high school. Toryn this is my partner and one of their best friends."

  He gestured to Toryn and my eyes reluctantly fell to his. He was already looking at me, something intense burned in his eyes. I stared back, unflinching. Caelan cleared their throat from beside me.

"Nice to meet you." I gritted out through cleaned teeth.

Toryn smiled sweetly at me. "You too."

Carter raked a hand through his red hair and glanced around awkwardly. "If it's too awkward we'll leave I just wanted to stop by before you go to your study group."

My friend turned their gaze to me subtly. "You can go on ahead. We're leaving soon anyway." They smiled at their boyfriend.

He bent down and placed a light kiss on their mouth. My lips lifted slightly. They were adorable. "I'll see you later, okay?" Caelan nodded eagerly with a smile on their face.

  Carter started walking towards the door but Toryn stayed rooted in his place. "I was right. The blonde brings out your eyes."

My face went slack. He turned around after shooting me a wink and followed after Carter. Option two. I was going with option two.