Chapter 33.) Talk About It

Start from the beginning

"I'm not mad at you, Nae."

"Yeah," she muttered.

Smirking, King playfully nudged her, "You kicked her out but put her in a crib, you ain't have to do dat but I know you did it for me. I said it once, but you saved my life, Nae and I'll always thank you for dat... I just hate how things turned out."

"I just... I'm just tired of how weird everyone has been acting... but if you want me to apologize, I'll do it."

"Nah," King shook his head. "You don't need to."

"You sure?"

"I'm sure," he pulled her onto his lap.

The two sat in silence for a moment until Renae spoke up, "There's something I wanted to talk to you about..."

King furrowed his brows, "It sounds serious."

Renae slowly nodded, "When we um... when we were separated and messed around that one night."

King remained quiet.

"I had been doing these treatments and um... I got pregnant."

King's body stiffened and he stared at her a bit confused and conflicted.

"The pregnancy only lasted a month..."

King stared at her curiously, "You had an abortion?"

"I lost it," she answered. "And I wanted to talk to you because I wanted to restart the treatments but... I wanted your permission this time."

King scratched his brow and leaned into the sofa. Taking a deep breath, trying to grasp the pregnancy news and her recent request, King was a bit stunned.

"I should have told you before, so I'm sorry," she apologized.

"I... you was pregnant?" he finally asked.

Renae nodded, "I wanted to know if you wanted to see if it could happen again?"

Running his hands down his face, King took a deep breath and held it for a moment before staring at her, "You can't... We can't... can we?"

"I have a thirty-percent chance at it happening again... but if you're ok with it, I can start again."

"Can I get some time to think about it? Did you forget what tha' doctor said?" he queried.

"I didn't... and I know the risks... which was why I stopped doing the treatments after the miscarriage happened... I don't know... I guess with everything that has happened with us, I just thought, why not? Y'know?"

"Yeah... let's revisit dis topic a lil later," he softly chuckled. . .

"What do you think it means?" Kelly asked Kairo as they moved about in the kitchen cooking. They were making garlic and honey glazed salmon with cajun-styled alfredo using farfalle pasta, crab meat, and sausages with homemade cheddar biscuits on the side.

"The only thing I can come up with is Zaire getting too deep in some shit with Delano... why else would I have a dream like dat?" he asked, adding the pasta into the sauce mixture.

"When's the last time you hung out with him?"

"It's been a while... I feel bad tho because before I stepped back from tha' streets, we were always together."

"I think, you should call him and check on him... I'm sure he's feeling a bit awkward because of the fight between your mom and his mom... didn't you say that she accused you of giving him money?"

Kairo nodded, "That's part of tha' reason why Dukes had to lay hands on her, but you right, I'ma hit his line."

"Now... about your mom, do you think that she's the suicide type?"