Part 4: Rebel

Dot awoke the next morning to the cawing of crows. She sighed, pinning her Sheriff's badge over her heart. There certainly hadn't been this many crows in Nottingham when she was a child, and the crows that did appear from time to time definitely didn't make as much noise as the crows that haunted the village now.

She walked down to the kitchen, where Hester and Anadil were sitting at the rickety table, eating a breakfast of greenish tinted jerky that they must've found in the cupboard. Dot wrinkled her nose, turning the jerky into chocolate. 

"I can't believe you guys are actually eating that," said Dot, pushing crows from her mind. "It looks like it's been sitting in that cupboard for centuries."

"Nevers can't be picky," Anadil replied. "We don't have time to sit around eating soufflé and baguettes like prissy pink princesses."

"What's with all of the crows?" Hester asked, shoving a large chunk of jerky into her mouth.

Dot grimaced. "I-" she paused, hearing a sharp knock on the door. She turned toward it with a frown. Who would be here this early in the morning? 

"Probably a bearer of bad news," said Hester, finishing Dot's thought. Dot scowled. "Is it possible for you to be positive?" she snapped, turning to open the door. She almost fell over when she saw who was behind it. 

A young man stood in the doorway, his dark brown hair shining in the morning sunlight. His eyes were a striking sky blue, and his smile seemed to light up the room. He donned an attire of brown leather, beaten and worn with a warm, earthy scent. 

Hester’s overexaggerated gag and Anadil’s mocking snort snapped Dot out of her thoughts.

“Hi,” Dot squeaked, shooting her friends a glare.

“Hello, fair lady,” the man said, running a hand through his hair. “Might you be the Sheriff of this fair town?”

“Yes, I am, good sir,” said Dot over another loud snort. “How can I be of your assistance?”

“My name is Rebel,” said the man. Anadil choked on her jerky. “Are your friends okay?” he asked with a concerned expression, watching Hester thump Anadil on the back until the rotten chunk of jerky flew out of her mouth and across the table.

“They’re fine,” Dot simpered. “Just have NO MANNERS.” 

“Anyways, I appear to be lost,” Rebel continued. “I ventured away from my home kingdom in order to find a long lost scroll. Unfortunately, I myself became lost in these dark woods, and this was the only town I could find for miles. I come to you to ask for your hospitality, as well as to humbly request that you aid me in my search for home.”

“Of course,” Dot said. “There is an inn down the street, and although it is closed currently, we would be delighted to open it again for you to rent a room. Where is your home kingdom? Perhaps we can help you find it.”

"I am from a small kingdom called Ingerthorn, very far from here, I presume."

"Never heard of it." Dot shrugged. She turned to her friends, sure they would be just as clueless as she was, and found them frozen, staring at Rebel with expressions somewhere between horrified and suspicious. Perplexed, Dot turned back to Rebel, waving flirtatiously. "I'm glad you came to us with your troubles. We'll do whatever we can to help."

"Thank you, my dear sheriff," Rebel said, bowing deeply. Dot closed the door, a hand over her heart.

"What a gentleman," she sighed. "I think I'm in love."

"That guy is really sketchy," Hester said, glaring at the door. "Stay away from him until we have some more facts."

"Unbiased facts," added Anadil. "Besides, anyone with a name like 'Rebel' is surely a slimy, lying bastard." 

Dot rolled her eyes. 

"Don't you roll your eyes at me," Anadil reprimanded. "I already know he's lying. Ingerthorn is not a kingdom. It's a mountain in Bloodbrook."

"Maybe he's from the mountain, then," said Dot, crossing her arms. 

"Doubt it," Anadil muttered.

"Let's stop bickering and start working!" Dot demanded. "We're the Sheriffs now, remember?"

"Of course we-" 

"Great," Dot interrupted, flinging open the door and walking outside. "We'll do some rounds, make sure there's no crime happening around Nottingham." Dot saw her friends share an exasperated glance, but she ignored them, striding off down the street. She turned back to the witches. "And stop scowling. We want to make a good first impression."