Arc 2 Chapter 4 - Shizuku

Start from the beginning

"Sorry. Were you waiting for long?"

"Not too long. Besides, it's fun to watch people go by." Fun probably wasn't the correct word. Informative perhaps. In any case, I wasn't bored.

"This is the first time we've met up on a day off. It's refreshing." Kushida laughed at her statement, which confused me greatly. Up until now I had always been able to roughly determine whether Kushida truly believed what she was saying but now I was unsure. Every instinct screamed at me that she generally was happy to meet up, but logically that should be incorrect.

"It's true, we haven't hung out often. Or at all."

The conversation seemed to lull for a bit as we waited for Sakura.

"What's the matter?"

"Just wondering about your reputation. Spending time with someone plain like me might bring it down."

This was an important topic I had been considering. Not only was it important people didn't think too much of the relationship between us, Kushida had to keep some level of social respect, and spending time with me, someone generally disliked by most of our class, wouldn't help.

"No, no, that's not true at all. I think we're great together," she replied.

"So you're saying that someone like me is a good match for you? A narcissistic annoyance?"

"Yeah."

I felt a sharp stab at her admitting that. I was still trying to figure out who I was, and it seemed I had developed into that sort of person, due to mimicking actions and mannerisms from Kouenji and Kiryuuin.

"You're that surprisingly delicate, Ayanokouji-kun? I don't really care what others say. I don't think it's an insult at all. I really think we suit each other."

I felt like she was teasing me somehow. Considering it logically, based on our goals and abilities, we were a good match, but that didn't explain why she would think that way. Kushida could never settle with a singular person.

The interesting part was why I cared. I couldn't figure that out. Kushida was objectively attractive, I didn't believe there was a single guy who would disagree, but that didn't explain why I cared. True, I had intended to experience all that a normal high school life had to offer, which hopefully involved falling in love with a cute girl, but Kushida?

It seemed my thoughts had moved in that direction slightly without realising. An unexpected development. With the dangerous balance we both had, it would be essential to keep an eye on how I truly felt about her. One slip could mean my downfall, so she wasn't a viable candidate to fall in love with. Yet my mind was forced to acknowledge her attractiveness, and on some level show an interest towards her.

"So, what about Sakura-san?"

"I don't see her yet."

It was the exact time we'd agreed to meet, but there still was no sign of her.

"Hmm... wait isn't that Sakura-san sitting next to us?"

Sakura, clearly flustered and indeed sitting on the bench next to us, stood and gave a sheepish bow. Had Sakura really been sitting there the entire time? To think I didn't notice her at all. The distractions of the female truly are dangerous.

"I'm sorry, I don't stand out much, I suppose... Good morning." It was an ordinary greeting from someone dressed up in an extraordinary outfit. Sakura was wearing a hat, and even a surgical face mask, which made it difficult to recognize her at a glance. I wondered if she'd caught a cold or something.

"You kind of look suspicious..."

"Rather than saying you look suspicious, I think you actually stand out more."