Chapter Six: Elijah

Two weeks later, I’m irritated to discover how accurate Malika is about no longer having the freedom I did as a private citizen. I can’t just fly into New York anymore whenever I want. Aside from providing the US government a by-the-minute itinerary, my private jet greeted by high-ranking members of the State Department, an official police escort, an assortment of congressmen and businessmen who have interests in Nijala and the press. I’m wearing a suit and the two sashes that mark me as the Sultan of Nijala and a member of the royal family.

I’ll admit – I’ve spent my life in front of cameras and the world, and I’m still uncomfortable with the amount of attention I’ve been receiving. I handle it all the way I normally do: with cold detachment that’s earned me little favor with the media. I suspect I wouldn’t be as affected if my emotions weren’t so erratic and entangled.

Malika does the meet-and-greet with the officials while I walk by everyone and slide into the car waiting for me. George is in the backseat already, a friendly sight after the past two and a half weeks stuck with Malika.

“Fuck me,” I mutter and slam the door closed before the driver can do it for me.

George gives me a knowing look. “This is why we were secretly glad to be second sons in noble households.”

“All those poundings in primary school were worth it,” I agree. Smiling, I shake his hand. “You look well. Recovered.”

“I am. You look the opposite.”

“It’s been a rough go.” I pull out my phone and text Malika. According to my schedule, I’m supposed to be headed to a sit down with government officials. I let her know that’s not happening and to make whatever excuse she wants, because I’m going back to my condo for a fucking nap. I tap send and glance towards the driver. “Let’s go.”

“Home?” George guesses.

“Yeah.”

Malika will be pissed, but I don’t care. She can handle the politicians; I’ll meet with the businessmen tomorrow as planned.

George gives the orders to my private security detail and within seconds, we’re leaving, trailed by a caravan of paparazzi.

“Everything good?” I ask casually. “Layla? Natalie? The baby?”

“Everyone’s good,” George confirms. “I’m not supposed to know, but Natalie started counseling soon after returning. Judy slipped up about it last week. You were right about having someone in the house fulltime.”

I nod. Whenever I think about what Natalie and Layla went through, my stomach twists into painful knots. The thought of seeing her again makes my pulse quicken and my emotions dark. I’m not sure I’ll ever be able to look at her without thinking about the pain I put her through.

“She’ll need counseling for a while, mate,” George adds quietly.

“As long as it takes for her to heal.”

“Jamil is keeping them busy planning to attend events.” He smiles. “Layla loves dressing up and going out. I think Natalie is still a little shell shocked.”

“Layla’s happy here?” I know the answer before he speaks it. My sister is probably never going back to Nijala, and I don’t blame her.

“Very. Natalie had a trust fund set up for her, and she’s been on cloud nine since learning her best friend is now her guardian. She loves Natalie. Loves Jamil, and he actually smiles at her every once in a while.”

I whistle. “That’s something. He won’t smile at me.”

“Me neither.” George chuckles. “You made the right decision to keep us both back here.”