Root Bound

(hi there, Author here, just as a side note, this chapter contains some, like...not particularly gruesome but still kinda rough shit, so TW: Blood, Knives, SH. Thanks again, happy reading y'all!)

-

          Dearest Orchid!

     I miss you terribly, sweetheart. Since you opened this letter, I take it you made your trip safely. That's great to hear! These old bones of mine can't take too much stress. You simply must write me back, I must know about your trip? Is the campus beautiful? Do you like your classes? Ah, we have so much to talk about!

     The boy from town is bringing me my medication, so don't waste time worrying about me, okay? Nella came over the other day and helped me pack some things for you, just to make dorm life a bit easier. We also finally finished that puzzle I've been working on, I'll send a photo when I can!

     There's a set of flannel sheets, some purple pillowcases (Your favorite color!), Some supplies for your classes, and the honey almond cookies you loved so well! Maybe when you come home, I'll finally give you the recipe!

          Love you, darling,

           Grandma

           Yes, Grandma, I'm safe!

     You seem to be getting along great, Gran! Thanks so much for everything, my bed looks great! I shared some of the cookies with my roommate, she adores them! Can't wait to shake you down for that recipe, You can't keep it forever.

     My classes are doing well, and I'm making friends here! I met my old pen pal, and my roommate is really nice. I'd love for you to meet her! She's so smart, she takes physics, Physics! What can you even be with a degree in physics? Probably a lot, I'd guess.

      Tell Nella I said…

     "Damn it all!" Orchid hissed as she tried to write over the tea smudge she had created, a streak of blue ink marring the paper. She groaned, resting her forehead on Pelle's desk, not caring much for the hot liquid getting all over her letters. Jørn was nice enough to make her a cup, but not before he tried some of the fabled lavender syrup.

His face was beyond priceless.

     "Orchid, look!" Pelle was in good spirits today, truly in rare form. She swirled the chair around to face him, watching a few unmistakable brown legs poke from his mouth, before a huge, saliva drenched house spider emerged. 

     "Ew!" She gasped, summoning her last bit of strength to push him away. He chomped the spider in half, spitting the mangled bug on the floor.

"Hey, I thought you wanted me to eat." He quipped, his face softening when he noticed Orchid's expression, and the tea still dripping off his desk. "Hey, Orc, what's the matter? You're never this...red."

Orchid sighed, tossing the soaked paper in the wastebasket, "I'm okay, Pelle. I just feel a bit weird. School stuff." She shivered, pulling her cloak tightly over her shoulders. The chill of the Norwegian night was beginning to settle in with the setting of the sun.

"Why won't you tell me?" He fell back on the mattress, crossing his legs. 

"It's just this fucken guy."

"A guy?"

"He seemed okay at first, but he just creeps me out…"

"What, What guy?"

"I can't just un-join Chess club either, at least I don't think I can-"

"Wai-"

"He has a girlfriend, you can't just ask people out when you have a girlfriend!"