88 • To The Stars

Start from the beginning

Yes, her medicine would save many people, but not her.

"Kanamaru, don't be sad." Inori chuckled weakly as the crow buried his head in her haori, or whatever was left of it. "We won...that's enough...please...live a long and...happy life from...now on..."

"Caw. No. No. No..."

"It's okay...that is enough now..." Inori smiled as she felt the crow's feather against her exposed skin. "Kanamaru...you are...the bestest crow...I could ever...ask for...I won't let anyone...say otherwise...so you can...be happy...now..."

It was okay. Even if she wasn't there anymore, Kanamaru would still be taken care of.

"I...I...want to be alone with...with Mui...right now...please."

Despite their request, Kanamaru and Ginko didn't make a move. But neither of them made a noise as silent tears pooled on the ground. The two pillars didn't seem to mind their presence.

"Mui...when you said...you love me through the stars..."

"I do." Muichiro leaned down to kiss her forehead, tasting blood on his lips. "I'll love you as many times as the stars will allow us to be reborn. I'm sure that no matter what life we meet in, we will find each other again."

"I'm glad...I'm glad." Inori sobbed. "Mui...I love you...I love you through the stars. I want to meet you again in a kinder life. When we meet again, will you still be my friend? Will you still love me? Please...I..."

"I'll be anything you want me to be." More tears fell from his eyes. "Your friend, your lover, a stranger...I don't mind. As long as you're happy, as long as I can still protect you, as long as I can love you..."

"No! You can't say that. I love Muichiro too. I love you through the stars too." Despite wanting to wipe her snot and tears, Inori couldn't move a single muscle. The only thing she could do was hold Muichiro's hand that was limp on her lap. "I promise I'll love you too...so please be happy with me...don't just prioritize my happiness...you have to be happy too."

"I will...I am...I am happy." Muichiro pressed their foreheads together, smiling as he saw both of their rings still intact in whatever remained of their hands and fingers. At the very least, something managed to remain unbroken.

Neither he nor Inori could remain sitting any longer, and they slowly slumped onto the ground. Their hands were still clasped together, and he was reminded of the many times they had stargazed together.

He pulled his hand that was clasped with hers and pressed his lips against the ring on her finger. More tears streamed out of his eyes, and he could hear her sob. The silver ring on her finger was stained with blood, and so was the golden ring on his. Even so, they glinted beautifully in the sunlight.

"It was painful to lose my family and my memories...but you were always there." A new batch of tears streamed down his eyes, and his lips moved to kiss her knuckles. "You never abandoned me." Through the misty night, she was the light that lit his sky up. The light that guided him until the sun shone again.

"Inori, unlike me, you're always shining like the sun. You light up people's hearts. You light up mine. You inspired me to stay strong countless times. You inspired me to remember even though it all felt pointless." Muichiro leaned his head forward, pressing his forehead against hers as he smiled.

"You're my sun, my star, my light."

She burned and burned, and she shone. She lit up many skies, including his. She lit up many skies, but neglected her own. She lit up many skies, so he would light up hers.

"Your brightness connected your life to so many people...and I am the luckiest man alive to be chosen as your lover. I am happy...I am happy, and I have no regrets."