63 • Rat Hunting

Start from the beginning

"Caw! News! News!" Inori and Muichiro perked up at the sight of a crow coming towards them. Judging from the scarf hanging around its neck, they could guess that this was Kagaya's personal crow.

"Uzui Tengen! Kamado Tanjiro! Hashibira Inosuke! Agatsuma Zenitsu! Kamado Nezuko! The five of them have successfully killed Upper Moon Six!" The crow announced, flying in circles above them. "Uzui Tengen lost his left arm and eye, and has retired from his occupation as a demon slayer! Kamado Tanjiro, Hashibira Inosuka, and Agatsuma Zenitsu are heavily injured, and are being treated at the Butterfly Estate!"

Inori and Muichiro felt their eyes widening in a mixture of shock and amazement. A losing war between the upper moon demons and demon slayers that has been going on for over a century finally tilted to their side.

"Uzui...who was it again?" Muichiro hummed, cocking his head left and right. "Is it the one with the blinding headband? The one that looks like a monkey and likes to crumple my head?"

"Do you view all the pillars as animals, Mui?" Inori sweatdropped, but failed to hide her chuckle. "But yes, that's Uzui-san, alright. And he really did it, he killed an upper moon demon. As expected, Oyalata-sama wasn't wrong when he said we'll defeat Muzan in our generation."

"I want to hurry up and end him. Him and all the demons." Muichiro's eyes turned cold, an unknown fury raging inside of him.

"Count me in on that." Inori huffed, raking a hand through her hair. "But our job right now is to find the traitor and kill as many demons as we can along the way."

"Right." Muichiro laced his fingers with Inori, walking side by side with her. "Where are we going again?"

"To the former Thunder Pillar, Kuwajima Jigoro-san."

·̩̩̥͙**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚☆.。.☆.。.:*☆ ˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*·̩̩̥͙

"Well, if it isn't the current Star Pillar and Mist Pillar. Do come in." Jigoro opened the door a bit wider. "What business do two esteemed swordsmen such as yourselves have with this old and retired man?"

"We would like to offer you our deepest condolences for the recent loss of your student, Kaigaku-san." Inori bowed in greeting. "But as I've mentioned in my letter, we're here to inquire about him." She took off her boots, placing them neatly on the floor before padding through the halls. "We have our reason which cannot be stated due to confidentiality reasons, but we hope for your cooperation."

She noticed the framed pictures hung on the hallway walls, recognizing the blond in most of the pictures. So, he's the student of a former pillar. Well, that's to be expected from a slayer of that strength.

"And what do you want to know?" Jigoro gestured for them to sit as he prepared some tea. "I won't demand answers, but it's quite unusual for a pillar, especially two at that, to be mobilized for something like news delivery since that's what the crows and kakushi are for."

"Yes, our visit today has no connection with reporting what has already been reported to you," Inori answered. "What we want to know is whether Kaigaku-san sent you any letters or visited you prior to his last mission, what your honest thoughts are regarding him, and basically anything you have about him."

"I feel like you're investigating a suspect here." Jigoro sighed, placing the tray of teacups on the tatami mat. "But I'm sure the current Oyakata-sama has his reasons to send two of his pillars all the way here just to ask me that, so I'll cooperate."

"We appreciate your cooperation."

What was this tea called again? Muichiro took a sip from his cup. I should ask Inori later after she's done with this.