45 • The Search for Tamayo

Start from the beginning

Sipping the glass of water the inn had prepared for her, Inori unfolded the letters she had received. Kanamaru, that lovely crow of hers, had forced her to rest for the night, cawing about how much she needed to sleep until her ears bled.

"Caw! Seven days of no sleep is unhealthy! Unhealthy! I can search for Tamayo! Sleep! Sleep! Sleep! Report to Oyakata-sama! I will report to Oyakata-sama! You need to sleep! Sleep!" Inori loved her crow too much to even smack it with a pillow. Thus, she was currently snuggled under a futon in an inn—because there was no Wisteria House nearby—reading the letter that had piled up over the past month.

Inori-chan, thank you for talking with me about Kanao back then. Thanks to you, I felt like I did something right. Kanao visited your garden with Naho, Sumi, and Kiyo and she absolutely loved it even if she didn't say anything. I hope you can come back soon. I wish you luck on your mission. Please remember to sleep, even if it's only a short nap. Kocho Shinobu.

"Oh, Kanao-san loves my garden." Inori smiled as she refolded the letter. "Once I finish this mission, I should buy some ramune. I think there are a few different flavors Kanao-san never tried—oh, a letter from Kanao-san!"

Inori, thank you for your words of motivation. I will do my best to be as strong and admirable as you in the future. Tsuyuri Kanao.

"Admirable, huh?" Refolding the letter, Inori placed it neatly on top of Shinobu's letter. She couldn't ask Kanamaru to bring it home since he was busy, so she would have to make sure it was stored well and not damaged until she could put it in the box she brought from her village, which was filled with all the letters she had received from various people.

Inori-chan, I heard that you went on another long mission. Let's go shopping and visit my family again the next time we have a day off together. Good luck with your mission. Kanroji Mitsuri.

"Oh, will I make it for Mitsuri-san's birthday?" She didn't know how long this mission would last, after all. "Shopping, huh? I wonder if there's a food Mitsuri-san hasn't tried yet."

Young Hoshizora, I heard you've been away for a month. It's great that you're killing all the evil demons, but please remember to sleep. Taking care of one's body is also an important job for a pillar. We can't protect people if we're tired. You should visit the Rengoku Estate when you get back, Senjuro misses you. He's very thankful for the books you gave him before. Rengoku Kyojuro.

Inori-san, thank you for the books, you really didn't have to but I'm still thankful for it. Please focus on your missions instead of searching for souvenirs this time. Also, please don't forget to sleep. Rengoku Senjuro.

"But I am focusing on my mission." Inori huffed, smiling at the letters the two brothers had sent her. "Now that I think about it, it's been a while since I practiced my modified forms. I should ask Shinazugawa-san or Rengoku-san or Iguro-san to spar with me. I wonder if Himejima-san has free time to help me too."

Inori, Tengen-sama told us about your long mission. We wish you luck and please come visit us whenever you're free. Also, please don't forget to sleep. Your mothers, Hinatsuru, Suma, Makio.

"I'm not their daughter though."

Inori-san, we'll make sure your garden is in perfect condition, so don't worry. Please bring back a lot of souvenirs this time too. We liked the cookies you bought last time. You don't have to force yourself to buy them if you can't because you must be very busy, but we just want to tell you that we appreciate how you often bring us souvenirs after your missions. Good luck and come back safely. Takada Naho, Nakahara Sumi, Terauchi Kiyo.

Inori, you don't have to spoil the little girls so much. I'm sure you are busy doing your own missions, so just focus on your missions. I wish you luck on your current mission and the next. Don't forget to sleep. Shinobu-sama said she'll make a drug that will put you into a coma if you come back with darker eyebags. Kanzaki Aoi.