44 • Sympathy For the Damned

Comincia dall'inizio

"That is fine." Kagaya brushed his hand over another headstone, muttering their name, then walked to the next grave. "I want to know more about the stars and about what you think of them."

"The stars, heaven, they're both places for humans to find everlasting peace and happiness, things they couldn't find on earth." Inori watched as Kagaya continued to glide his hand over each headstone, murmuring the names of the deceased demon slayers. "Demons, humans who have abandoned their humanity for whatever reason, humans who hurt others just because they could. They have neither the right nor a place in the stars."

"Even if you know the desperate reasons why some people chose to become demons?"

"Because we are prey and predator, and we are predator and hunter."

Kagaya stopped in his tracks, and so did Inori. There was a manmade waterfall pond at the end of the rows of graves. The sound of flowing water was soothing, as were the sounds of rustling leaves and chirping birds.

"Life is hard for everyone and I understand that some people just can't bear the pain." Rolls of painful memories flash through her eyes in an instant but Inori continued on. "But just like how our weaknesses caused people to die, their weakness turned them into heartless killers." There were consequences to every choice taken. "And for that, they must pay for everything, their wrongdoings and weaknesses, all the lives they've taken. They must atone for it. That's why they can't obtain the peace the stars provide. That is...what I think."

Kagaya's smile turned sympathetic. "What if a demon who could repent for their sins or a demon who has never once killed the innocent exists?" He asked, causing Inori to widen her eyes. "Do they have a chance to go to the stars?" As he held his palm out, a leaf landed in graceful flutters. "If you meet them, what will you do? Will you kill them or will you let them be?"

"I...I...if a demon like that exists." Inori gnawed at her lips, analyzing the seemingly impossible but not entirely impossible situation. "If a demon that has never tasted human flesh or spilled innocent blood exists, that must mean they're able to retain their humanity." At least, that should be the case. "If so, then I will use everything in my power to let them live a human life."

"Then, I feel at ease at leaving this task in your hands." Kagaya pulled out a small scroll from where it had been slipped into his obi, handing it over to her. "Maybe Tsugikuni Yoriichi once told you, but there is a demon by the name 'Tamayo' who has successfully freed herself from Muzan's control and is currently doing her best to find a way to kill him."

Inori could somewhat grasp where the conversation was headed to. "Oyakata-sama, are you, perchance, suggesting we form an alliance with this demon?" She unconsciously bristled at the thought. She knew, of course, about the demon Yoriichi let live centuries ago. But she didn't know how trustworthy the demon Muzan once considered his personal aid was.

"While I undoubtedly believe in my children, I have a feeling that we might need more than just humans to kill someone like Muzan," Kagaya answered, easing her chaotic emotions with his soothing voice. "After all, it takes one to know one. Tamayo-san used to be someone Muzan kept close, so I have no doubt she could be of help to us."

Inori stared at the scroll in her hand. "Is it really alright to leave such an important mission to me?" She may not have a personal connection with the demon, but if both Yoriichi and Kagaya believed in Tamayo's humanity, then Inori would try her best to believe in it too. But that didn't mean she would trust the demon just on their words alone.

"Oyakata-sama, if by any chance, this demon is still eating humans, I can't just let her live," she stated. "For a demon slayer to purposefully let a demon live means that I'm ready to atone for her sins with my life if she ever hurts an innocent person." Inori gripped the scroll until her knuckles turned white. "I don't know if I'm ready to put that much trust in a demon."