19 • Resurfaced Memories

Start from the beginning

Muichiro followed suit, running up the stairs while decapitating black beasts left and right. "They're weak. The summons?"

"Probably," Inori replied, still busy slashing the army of demon beasts that never seemed to end. "But this much will tire out the norm. In a way, it's effective for the real demon."

She took time to observe the demons she had just slashed, noticing that none of them were disintegrating. "Looks like these are just blood demon art. They're not dying and they're shadows? Ink? Whatever. You should probably duck, Muichiro." Muichiro obliged, ducking low as Inori swung her sword.

Star Breathing: Thirteenth Constellation: Coils of the Snake Bearer, Three Heads

Inori swung her swords as she dashed forward, creating a visualization of a barrage of stars taking the form of a three-headed snake dicing the beasts into pieces. They used the interval between the beasts regenerating to make a dash toward the shrine.

"I thought you could only do two heads?" Muichiro raised an eyebrow, decapitating another array of cannon fodders.

"Himejima-san's training was a hellish success," Inori replied, slashing another beast. "Ah, damn pests. They're quick to regenerate and it's annoying."

Mist Breathing: Third Form: Scattering Mist Splash

Inori took the opportunity to leap her way to the top, slashing the demon beasts that Muichiro didn't manage to deflect. She kicked down the shrine door, letting the dim light from the moon filter inside the shrine.

The demon was sitting on a throne, enshrined like a god, drinking a sake cup filled with blood. He deliberately drank the blood as slowly as he could while three glowing green eyes stared into her mismatched ones. She could see the number one carved in the eye on his forehead.

Inori took a deep breath. She didn't know whether it was adrenaline, fear, or anger that made her heart beat faster, but whatever it was, she needed to stop it and calm down. She forced her hammering heart to still, sharpening her glare at the demon.

He gulped the last drop of blood, slamming the cup to the floor. He looked at Inori with the crazed eyes of an obsessed creep. "Silver-rainbow hair and mismatched eyes," he drawled, confirming that he had, indeed, taken the bait. "You must be the one the great one is looking for. If I bring you to him, I can get more of his blood. I can become one of the upper moons."

He stood up, stretching his arm out. "Girl, do me a favor and surrender."

Star Breathing: Second Constellation: Gallop of the Bull

Inori cursed when Lower Moon One easily sent an army of shadow beasts to block her path. I expected it, but I guess it's true that the power difference between each moon is huge. Lower Moon Six wasn't as fast as this one, and I was injured back then. I need to move faster.

Star Breathing: Ninth Constellation: Arrow of the Archer

Blood Demon Art: Memories of Heaven

Inori's feet dragged against the floor as she forced herself to stop. The shadows morphed and merged together, gaining colors. And there in front of her, stood her beloved brothers, both gazing at her so softly like they used to. Her hold on her swords slacked, but she didn't let go.

Snap out of it! Cut it down! That's not real! It's not real! They're at the stars. They're happy. They're at peace. Cut it down! Cut it down! It's the shadows! Cut the damn shadows! Inori kept repeating to herself. But no matter how much she tried to move, she felt as if her body was rooted in place.

"Inori." Hizashi stepped closer to her, a wide smile on his face and a blade in his hand. "Isn't it lonely? Why don't we go together? You don't have to be alone anymore, we can be together again." Inori narrowly dodged the blade that descended on her. Her mind knew that the thing in front of her wasn't her brother, but her heart refused to hurt it.