16 • Impasse

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Thank you very much, Tecchikawahara-sama. I look forward to your creations."

·̩̩̥͙**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚☆.。.☆.。.:*☆ ˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*·̩̩̥͙

Muichiro observed as his sword changed colors from dull silver to a glowing white. He sheathed the sword, pleased to know that he was indeed ready to answer Kagaya's expectation. Now he just needed to wait for Inori to get her own weapons. Then, they could hunt the Twelve Demon Moons and become pillars.

"Boy, I'm worried for you." Tetsuido blew his pipe, gazing at the boy in front of him with pity. "Will anyone ever understand? Understand you? Understand all your troubles?"

Muichiro tilted his head to the side, not understanding what he was talking about. Why was some random stranger worried for him?

"How much you've gone through...how close you've cut it...how uneasy you are because of your amnesia...and how you work so hard that you start coughing out blood." At every mention of his inner worries, something inside Muichiro churned in discomfort.

"Will anyone ever understand you?" The swordsmith wondered. "Whenever I see the sword I made for you, tears come out of my eyes." Tetsuido blew his pipe again, watching Muichiro who was still staring at him with that blank look of his. "I don't have long to live. I don't begrudge the end of my life, but you're still making me worry."

Why was he worried? Muichiro couldn't understand. After all, there was someone in his memories that should ease Tetsuido's worries.

·̩̩̥͙**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚☆.。.☆.。.:*☆ ˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*·̩̩̥͙

"Muichiro!" Inori rushed out of the house, not caring that her clothes were getting drenched by the harsh rain. She knelt beside Muichiro's hunched up form, eyes widening at the sight of blood he coughed out. "Oh stars, we need to get you treated. Right now."

Ignoring his protests, Inori hauled, or more like dragged, Muichiro back inside. He thought she would start interrogating or berating him, so it was a surprise when she just treated his injuries and asked, "Were you training?"

"Yes."

"I see." Inori peeked outside. The rain was still falling heavily as if the sky was lamenting his weakness. She turned back to face him, a grin plastered on her face. "Well, we're both already drenched anyway. How about a spar?"

Muichiro was stunned but agreed to her offer. They stepped back out into the rain, taking their stances. "I thought you were going to stop me from training, like Kocho-san and Oyakata-sama," he suddenly said as their swords clashed.

Inori hummed, swinging her twin swords. "Well, it's not like I have the right to stop you since I also didn't listen to them when they told me to take it easy." She chuckled sheepishly. "So, don't worry, I won't stop you. But I will make sure you don't have to do it alone." She grinned, toothy and wide. "That way I'll be able to treat you if you start coughing blood again."

Her grin widened. "Besides, I know you want to become a slayer as soon as possible and start killing those damned things we call demons. I feel the same way, so I won't stop you."

As Muichiro dodged another blow, his mind was reeling with thoughts. He did want to start slaying demons as soon as possible. He wanted to be a pillar and slay the Twelve Demon Moons. He wanted to kill Muzan. He didn't know why he wanted it, but something in him burned with fury, hot and seething. Maybe it was part of the memory he lost.

His thought was interrupted when Inori slapped her sword against his head. "Hello, earth to Muichiro? What are you thinking so deeply about?"

Should he tell her? She had never judged him for forgetting. He would tell her. "I don't know," he admitted. "When you said I want to kill demons, that's true. I don't know why, but I'm angry and I want to kill those demons. I probably forgot why I want to kill demons in the first place."