09 • Shared Happiness

Start from the beginning

"I won't get offended, Inori-chan," Shinobu assured calmly as if reading her mind. "The Butterfly Estate has always been the recovery center for the demon slayers, some criticism can help us improve too."

"Oh no, I don't find any of you lacking," Inori hastily denied. "It's just...the reason is a bit childish and ridiculous."

"You just turned eleven a few months ago, right? What's so wrong about being childish at eleven?" Shinobu playfully poked her cheek, chuckling lightly when she pouted. "I promise I won't judge, so please tell me why you don't want to visit my estate. Naho, Sumi, and Kiyo kept asking me when you'll be visiting again. They really adore you, Inori-chan."

Inori's heart fluttered at the mention of the three little girls and their wish to see her again. She turned her head away, looking intently at the ground. "It's stupid," she admitted again. "I love the Butterfly Estate, everybody is so kind to me. But whenever I see Naho-chan, Sumi-chan, and Kiyo-chan walking around with their hips attached, I can't help but remember how inseparable I was from my brothers. Whenever I see Aoi-san scolding someone, I keep remembering my grandmother."

She had gotten used to Shinobu, but not the other girls.

"When I was rehabilitating and the other girls cheered me on, I kept having flashbacks to when I was practicing the dance and my family cheered me on. When I fell, they were all so worried, and I just—" Inori pursed her lips, hanging her head low. "The Butterfly Estate reminded me too much of what I lost that I find it hard to breathe." She palmed her chest, feeling as if her heart was being ripped out as she tried to keep the tears at bay. "I'm sorry, but it's not your fault, I just can't stop myself from remembering them."

Shinobu's breath hitched. They, the pillars, her, and everybody else, were all relieved to know that Muzan wasn't able to conquer the sun. It seemed that they were too relieved, they forgot that it wasn't just Inori who was kidnapped. They forgot that it was just her who survived to see tomorrow.

Shinobu leaped to her feet, engulfing Inori in a hug. "I'm sorry," she whispered an apology because this child had also lost her family to that demon, because this is one of the people her small hands didn't manage to save, because she had also unconsciously hurt this already wounded child.

Inori gripped Shinobu's haori until her knuckles turned white. Warm. Shinobu's hug reminded her of her brothers, and it hurt more than she wanted to admit. Inori couldn't stop the tears from flowing. She buried her face into Shinobu's shoulder, muffling her cries and sobs. Throughout it all, Shinobu simply hummed a soothing tune, rubbing her back and hugging her tighter.

"I'm sorry." Inori sniffed, wiping her eyes with Shinobu's handkerchief. "I'm sorry, I think I ruined your haori."

"Don't mind it, I can always wash it," Shinobu assured with a smile, helping her wipe her face with another handkerchief.

"You know, I also have a sister whom I love so dearly." Inori perked up at Shinobu's confession, staying silent but staring at the Insect Pillar. "I used to think happiness will last forever too." The Insect Pillar smiled bitterly. "But when my parents were killed by a demon, I realized that happiness lies on top of a fragile glass."

Inori understood that.

"Himejima-san saved us, so my sister and I managed to survive," the pillar told the younger girl. "We promised ourselves we'd grow stronger so we could protect others, so that nobody else has to suffer like we did. Then, we became demon slayers. Nee-san was the Flower Pillar." Shinobu tilted her head downwards, her smile dropping into a thin line. "But she was killed by an upper moon when I was fourteen. More than a year has passed, but there was never a day when I didn't miss her."