15 | The Throne's Call

Começar do início

"Forgive me for my impudence, Samrat. I don't deserve this throne," Vrishketu lifted his gaze to Yudhisthira, his voice heavy with self-doubt and anguish.

"Rajkumar of Anga, our decision-making has been solely based on one's abilities and capabilities. Why do you feel unfit for the throne when the citizens of Anga have no objections?" Yudhisthira held onto his voice, suppressing any wavering emotions. This boy reminded him of the injustice fate had inflicted upon his late elder brother, Karna. He didn't want Vrishketu to walk the same path, not when he was also his own son.

Vrishketu stood in silence, his palms clenched into tight fists, his knuckles turning white. Emotions surged within him, ready to burst forth. He couldn't help but think of his father, Karna, and how the very throne had stripped him of his senses, leaving his family broken. He didn't want to inherit that same venom, that same burden.

In a swift motion, Bhanu rose to his feet, reaching out to support Vrishketu, who seemed on the verge of crumbling to the ground. Yudhisthira, along with the other kings present, also stood, recognizing the gravity of the moment.

"Court dismissed," Yudhisthira declared in a commanding tone, silencing any further discussions.

"Hold on, Vrishketu," Bhanu's voice was warm and comforting as he steadied Vrishketu, ensuring he didn't falter. "Would you like a glass of water?". Vrishketu nodded slowly, consumed by guilt for causing trouble in the court.

All the wives of the Pandavas stood at a respectful distance, their lords by their side. Suthanu looked up to Yudhisthira, who nodded with consent, giving her the support to act.

Suthanu took a seat on a nearby throne beside Vrishketu. His mind swirled with conflicting emotions, unsure of any familial ties with those who had been oppressed by his own father. Not with this princess, especially after the events of that fateful dice game, which had led to the injustice suffered by her mother. Even at their first formal meeting in Dwarka, they had no inkling of the connection that bound them.

"Rajkumari," Vrishketu began, his voice troubled and uncertain, but he was interrupted by Suthanu's gentle words.

"Bhrata, I won't force you to move forward with things hastily. Take your time. However, you cannot deny that you are my brother and a member of this same family," Suthanu spoke with a soft smile, her eyes brimming with hope. "I understand that things may be awkward after the revelation, and it will take time for everything to settle into place, but can we try?"

Vrishketu looked into Suthanu's eyes, filled with hope and devoid of any accusations towards him for his father's deeds. He was taken aback by the warmth she emanated, the acceptance she offered despite the sins of his father.

"Rajkumari, I am the son of the same man who repeatedly tried to take the lives of your own family members," Vrishketu spoke, his voice filled with a troubled tone. "You didn't right, Bhrata?"

Suthanu smiled gently, her words flowing with understanding. "Instead, you have saved my life once. You are a savior, Bhrata, and you won't be judged by your father's actions. Don't expect me to remain silent if anyone dares to judge you either." Suthanu sighed, acknowledging that she could never bring herself to accept Karna as her father but resolute in her stance.

"Thanu," Vrishketu's voice trembled as he uttered her name, his eyes brimming with unshed tears. Suthanu smiled, hearing her name from his lips, and exchanged a quick glance with Bhanu, who stood beside them, providing unwavering support.

"Bhrata, none other than you is deserving of that throne. Only you can show, Bhrata, that a throne does not rob one of their senses and plunge them into the depths of hell. If ruled righteously, it can elevate the earth and turn it into heaven. One can keep their senses intact and serve the land selflessly. You can achieve what your father couldn't, Bhrata," Suthanu assured him with a gentle smile. "Accept what is rightfully yours, Bhrata. Rajkumar Vrishketu is receiving this throne, not the son of the late Angaraja."