𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏

Its not necessary, but I recommend you read The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black before reading this chapter.

────── ・ 。゚☆: .☽ . :☆゚. ──────

"I'M HEADING OUT!" I call up the stairs as I stumble out the front door, still tugging on my boots. A muffled response from my roommate, Dahlia, but I can't understand what she's saying. Oh, well. Doesn't really matter anyway. I'm already running late.

I pull a cigarette out of my big purse and fiddle with the lighter as I half-run down the sidewalk, burning my fingers. "Shit," I mumble, shoving it back into my bag. The sky burns a blazing orange as the sun fades

I'm gasping for air by the time I stumble into the diner. A waitress with brunette hair in a high ponytail stares at my outfit for a little too long, so I wink at her before scanning the occupants of the diner. I recognize her as one of my sister's classmates. I didn't think my outfit was too outrageous before leaving, but it still makes me insecure. I wrap my arms around my stomach.

I'm wearing Dahlia's black tank-top–the one with a picture of a cat making a vulgar gesture with its paw and the words "In the old days, there weren't all these satellites recording our every move. We had government agents in vans to do that sort of thing," printed across the breasts–underneath a denim jacket. My sister, Greer, painted a hippie zombie, who I've named Brandon, on the back of this specific jacket. I never wash it because I'm scared the paint will come off. I've become rather attached to Brandon. Other than that, I've got a red flannel skirt, panda leggings and steve madden slip-ons. Actually, maybe she had a right to stare. This probably isn't red-carpet material.

My date, Madoc, sits at a small round table, reading the menu. "Jen's Diner" is plastered in bold red letters across the top.

"Hey," I breathe, sliding into the seat opposite him. His hazel eyes dart to me and I catch a flash of gold. I duck my head to hide my smile.

Fairfold is a weird place. This off-the-grid small town has always been somewhat of a tourist attraction for those in the know–and for good reason, too. Other places have theme parks, or fancy mountains, but here in Fairfold, we have the fae.

They mostly leave us mortals alone, but sometimes they can't help themselves.

He thinks he's doing a good job hiding what he is, but I know. I think it's why I love him so much.

"Greetings," Madoc nods to me. "You are late."

I playfully hit him with my napkin. "You know me," I say, gesturing to myself with a flourish. "Always fashionably late."

"Fashionable, indeed," he winks at me and glances at my outfit, but his smile doesn't spread to his eyes.

•°. *࿐

I WAS SEVENTEEN years old when I first met Madoc. Dahlia and I were stomping around the forest in the middle of the night looking for trouble. We decided to go visit the horned boy in the glass coffin, but when we arrived, someone was already there. Sitting on the glass eerily still was the silhouette of a young man. The shine of golden hair in the moonlight was all we could see of him, but we already knew exactly what he was.

Fae.

We were about to turn around and head back to town, but he called out to us, "Why do you leave? You've only just arrived."

Beside me, Dahlia froze. The wind blew her bright blue hair into her face, but she didn't brush it away. She only stood there mid-stride, a look of sheer terror on her face.

As for me, I ought to have been afraid but I wasn't. I turned back to the faerie, kicking a nearby rock with my sneakers. "We have no intention of disturbing you," I said. Even at this distance, he hears me without my needing to raise my voice. Some supernatural fae hearing, I guess. Normally, I would have said something like "sorry for bothering you," or "our bad, sorry, we will leave you alone now," but you never apologize to the fae. I'm not sure what would happen if I did, since it is just something your parents teach you when you're young. I may be the bold type, but even I am not keen to find out.

"You do not disturb me," he said. "Come," he beckoned, "join me."

I hesitated. It was eerily quiet, as if the forest had paused it's usually forest-noises to listen to what I said next. I looked to Dahlia in question. She violently shook her head.

"Okay," I said. "I will join you." I started towards him, but didn't get far. As soon as I lifted my foot, Dahlia seemed to snap out of whatever freeze she had succumbed to and grabbed my arm. She sprinted back the way we came, dragging me with her. "But–" I gasped.

She cut me off, "Are you stupid? What are you doing?" She wheezed. She was still hauling me through the trees as fast as she could. I didn't resist, because part of me knew she was doing the right thing. The correct thing.

But I kinda wanted to meet the faerie.

He didn't pursue us that night. We made it out of the forest perfectly fine, and Dahlia yelled at me so loud that Mr. Delmonico emerged from his house to see what was going on.

"You're so lucky we got away from that thing!" Dahlia had screeched. "I hope we never see him again! That was so scary!"

If only Dahlia knew how useless her hope was, because it wasn't long before I saw the same fae again.

•°. *࿐

"I THINK I'LL order the cheese sticks and fries again," I tell Madoc.

He gives a hum of acknowledgement as his eyes return to his menu. "I'm getting my usual," he says.

We wave over the waitress who I winked at earlier and place our orders. I ask for extra ketchup with my fries, and Madoc orders his medium rare new york steak. I've always wondered how he can bear to afford such expensive things, since as far as I know, he doesn't have a job. Or a wallet. Or a house. Hell, he isn't even human. Despite what he thinks, that glamour isn't doing shit.

We eat our meal and I tell him about my day. He tells me about how he doesn't plan to stay in Fairfold for much longer.

"Why are you leaving?" I demand. "What about us?"

"Actually," he averts his gaze. Madoc takes a deep breath and seems to be attempting to collect himself before he speaks. "I was hoping you would accompany me."

The words tumble out of his mouth before he seems able to stop them. I stare at him.

Leave Fairfold? I've never left this town. I've been here my whole life. I've heard from the other locals that it is often hard for people like me, who have lived here since they were born, to leave not only because of sentimental reasons, but because of the magic of this place. We live alongside the Folk. Their magic is woven into the very thread of our clothes, tumbling in tiny particles through the air we breathe. Will I be happy anywhere other than here?

"I..." I don't know what to say. He is watching me closely, those hazel eyes clouded with focus. Does it matter if I'm happy somewhere else? Without him, I would be unhappy here, too. "Why not?"

He grins a toothy smile.

────── ・ 。゚☆: .☽ . :☆゚. ──────

QOTD: What song have you been playing on repeat recently?

AOTD: For me, it's "Emergency" by Paramore