He nods and leaves, walking out the hall, his faint voice asking his escort to accompany him.

To the outside eyes, it may have been out of his character to agree to a baking session. Though, you've known him for no longer than a year. Your friendship also stood outside of a business relationship. You've travelled with him to Luipt occasionally whenever he needed assistance regarding things of your profession, and he'd travel to you when you needed his help in negotiating or simply when you wanted to see him. (though you rarely called him for that small reason. You knew how busy an archduke could get.)

-----------------------------------------------------

Gently tying the apron around his waist, you hum to let him know you've tied it securely.

"Say, are you good at baking?" you ask him, worried about messing up the birthday cake. You weren't talented in the baking area yourself, but after baking with the citizens for years, you're sure your experience would get you somewhere.

"I wouldn't say I'm good, but I've helped my mother with cooking full meals when I was younger. I'm less experienced in the baking area." he answers, bringing out bowls and ingredients from a cabinet.

"I see. Just to warn you, I'm not very good at keeping things clean so I might spill some flour everywhere at some point."

He chuckles, "I guessed so."

You glare and cross your arms, "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Nothing, nothing. Let me see the instructions."  He puts the materials on the table before turning to take the paper from you. His usual fancy outfit is changed with a simple button up and trousers (With a cute apron on top), and your own outfit is the same, topped with a matching apron as well. You'd like to think it was a cute couple clothing match.

Unknown to you, Kaufman had trailed his eyes from the paper to his own clothes and then to yours. Your thoughts were indeed correct. It looked like you were a couple who matched clothes.

A faint blush dusts his cheeks before he focuses back on the instructions. "We're baking strawberry shortcake?" he asks, surprised. He expected a plain vanilla cake for the Empress based on her personality, but he was taken aback by the choice of flavor.

You lean against his shoulder and tiptoe to look at the recipe, "Of course! Navier loves strawberry cake" You hum, "That's the sponge bread recipe, this one in my pocket is—" you pull out a second paper from your pocket, "The puree, frosting, and cream recipe." You confirm, scanning over the words.

You sweat, "I think the chef put a bit much details. Seems like he knows I get a little too confused."

"I'll help you when I wait for my bread to bake then." He affirms and you nod as a response, moving to start mixing the ingredients you gathered on the table.

After mixing a few ingredients into a bowl and sifting a few of them, you begin to mix until it's as the paper describes. You yelp when your hand bumps against the nearby sugar, cursing and glaring at it when it spills. You sigh and tip it back up. "It hasn't even been 5 minutes, ( y/n ). You really exceed my expectations." Kaufman comments, laughing at the glare you send his way.

'oh, I'll exceed your expectations when you bend me over and fuck me over this table.' you grumble angrily in your thoughts. Setting the mix aside and grabbing the strawberries.