Cliff Burton

Warnings: death
Word count: 1587
I'm writing this to honor Cliff, his death anniversary was a few days ago and I can't help but miss him. He's my biggest influence as a bassist and he's dearly missed by the world.

I slowly drift awake, dreading the day ahead of me. Today marked the one year anniversary of Cliff's death, an entire year without him. The whole year seemed to be a blur, filled with alcohol and the occasional line of coke. It was a year I know Cliff wouldn't be proud of, but we were all so clueless without him, and everything was so dim.

I sigh, not wanting to get up. Memories of Cliff played on repeat in my head, everyday. I hadn't realized how big of an impact he'd had on me, until he was gone. And I never had a chance to say how much I appreciated him for being there.

I roll over, stretching and then curling back up into a ball. I was shivering, my window had been left open all night. Yawning, I recall the event. The day that Cliff had died, and I'd gotten the terrible news. The boys were on tour, Cliff and I had been dating for two years by then. I'd called him the night before, we told each other about our days....

Ring ring.....

I pick up the phone, sitting on top the counter and putting it to my ear.

"Hello?" I say

"Y/n! How are you?" Cliff asks

"Cliff!! I'm great yea, hows touring?"

"It's a lot of fun, I think we've been selling out a lot."

"Cliff that's great! You know they're selling magazines with you guys in the cover now??"

"I know! It's so weird." He laughs

"Yea." I laugh along "hey, I've been thinking about your guys' tour shirts, and I've got a few ideas for them."

"Sweet, what are they?"

"Well I think you guys should start putting the album cover on the t shirts, I think they'd sell great."

"Yea, I'll tell James and we'll figure it out."

"Great, I think you'll love it." I nod "what time is it there?"

"About 11:30, how about there?"

"8 in the morning."

"Oh jeez, and you're awake? Shocking."

"I know, I have to be productive today. I've got tons to do."

"Are you gonna paint the kitchen cabinets again?"

"Maybe...but it'll look better this time I promise."

"Ok, go for it. Just no pink or purple or anything like that."

"Oh hell no, course not."

"Alright well I better get to bed."

"Yea, have fun playing shows tomorrow."

"I will, I love you."

"Love you too Cliff, goodnight."

He hung up, leaving me smiling.

I make some coffee and get ready for the day, knowing I had a busy day ahead. I clean the house, finished some work, went grocery shopping and did a few extra things when I had time.

I finish painting the cabinets a charcoal grey and put all of the paint away. After doing so, I finally get time to relax. I grab a book and put on a Led Zeppelin record in the background.