Chapter V

Nini's POV

Before my second day of work, I begged my mamas to not let me go. After reading that stupid, revolting email, I just want to quit my job. There was no way I was going to work with that arrogant, idiotic fluffy-curly-haired boy all summer.

"What? What do you mean you want to quit?" Mama D asked sternly, crossing her arms.

"There's this... dumb boy. And he sent me this message that was so rude, and now I never want to see his filthy face again." I pouted.

Mama C sighed, shaking her head. "Neens, this is why you want to quit? Because of that boy you were complaining about yesterday?" I casually nodded, my gaze hovering over my worn-down shoes. Mama C placed her hand under my chin, lifting my face back up. "Listen, Nina, you can't let this 'dumb' boy bring you down like this. You have to show him who's the REAL boss, okay? Besides, once you get through this one summer and it goes to your college credit, you won't have to do this again." 

My lips curled up into a small smile. Mama C somehow always knew how to cheer me up. "Thanks, Mama C." She returned the smile, resting her hand on my shoulder before wishing me good luck on my second day of work. I looked to Mama D whose expression softened, embracing me in a tight hug.

"Show him who's boss." She delicately whispered in my ear. I nodded, my smile growing even bigger. After getting that weight lifted off my shoulders, I started getting ready to leave. I strapped on my lavender-colored helmet with butterfly prints, then hopped on my matching lilac bicycle. I checked my phone, seeing that I had plenty of time to make it to the theater before my shift. I kicked myself off the driveway, pedaling away to my destination, leaving with a completely new mood.

I locked my bike onto the bike rack, securing it from being robbed. I snapped apart the strap on my helmet, linking it in place with the bike. I began making my way to the entrance of the theater with a meager bounce in my step. It's time to show Richard Bowen who's the boss around here. I was about to pull open the door inside the buttery popcorn-filled building, but then I heard that all familiar voice.

"Nina!" The voice cried out.

 I spun around, looking up at the curly-haired boy. He waved at me with a pleasant grin. My eyebrows furrowed as I glared at him. "What do you want?" I directed, changing my whole persona to tough. He tilted his head, confused about what he had done wrong. 

"W-What do you mean? I'm your co-worker? I'm just g-greeting you..." He stuttered, scratching the back of his head.

I scoffed. "Yeah, co-workers. Not even CLOSE to being friends, okay? So, stop acting like it." I turned back around, hauling the door back, not even bothering to leave it open for Richard. Was that too harsh? No, I think it's fine. Besides, he was the one who sent me that email with zero remorse.

 I went inside the staff room to change into my outfit, a smirk forming on my face. I finally showed him who's the boss, just like my mamas said. He better not pull any ridiculous stunts or I'm definitely going to quit. I clipped my nametag onto my red vest, completing the look. Once I was properly dressed, I went back outside to start my first official day of work. Richard was already wiping down the counters down. He glanced up at me, giving me a faint smile. I glared at him again before progressing to the farthest cashier away from him. I started sorting all the different types of candy, feeling Richard's eyes staring at the back of my head. I tried to neglect it, but I could feel myself tensing up. Stop it, Nina, you have to show him that you're the boss. I took a deep breath, resuming my work as I attempted to forget about the curly-haired boy.

The rest of the day went by pretty fast. Richard and I barely interacted which was perfect for me. We served multiple customers as they kept streaming in, working pretty efficiently together considering we hadn't said a single word since the beginning of the day. I kept feeling Richard's eyes on me which was distracting, but I tried my best to not think about it. Our shift was coming to an end, and I couldn't wait to go back home. Staying in a room with Richard for a whole day is the most disagreeable situation I've ever been in.

Finally, the long day came to an end. I changed back into my regular outfit, eager to leave the theater without encountering Richard. I was almost at the exit when I felt a hand grab my arm. I groaned, knowing exactly who it was. I pivoted, seeing the one face I dreaded to talk to. 

"Can we talk? Please." The curly-haired boy asked. I could see the genuine look in his eyes. I sighed, glancing over at the clock on the wall. 

"You have 10 minutes," I replied. He nodded, letting go of his grasp on my arm. He stared down at his fingers, fidgeting with them. He took a deep breath then looked up at me. 

"Um so, I don't really understand why you're all cold to me all of a sudden. I sent you that email, apologizing for how stupid I was. I was being an idiot, and I'm sorry for everything I did that day. I want us to be friends- or at least acquaintances, but I don't know how to do that if you're super mad at me." He explained, his tone calm and sincere. 

"Are you being serious right now? You have no idea why I'm being cold to you?" I scoffed, "boys can be dumber than I thought." I mumbled under my breath.

"No, I actually don't." He responded, his voice laced with sarcasm. 

"Yeah, right. Use your brain for once in your goddamn life. Do you really think that the email you sent me was an apology? It was a full-out insult that shattered my heart. I'm not going to be your acquaintance, let alone your friend. Stop trying to fix something that's already been done!" I disputed, raising my voice.

"What are you talking about? That email was written by-" Richard blanked out, his eyes widening. What the hell is this guy doing? 

"Written by yourself? Wow, thanks for the info, Sherlock." I said, scornfully. Not a sound was uttered from his lips, his face looking like he just encountered a ghost. "Hello?" I waved my hand in front of his face. I grunted, checking the time once again. Great, 10 minutes just passed, I can finally escape the idiocy of Richard Bowen. I rammed the door wide open, exiting the building, leaving the poor boy behind.