After a couple sips of soju, Hwiyoung leaned towards him and said quietly, "I really don't like the Jaejin guy."

Taeyang glanced at the pink-haired male only a few feet away. He didn't have a single drop of alcohol anywhere near him. "Why?" he questioned. 

The blonde took another swig of his own drink. "I just don't. Bad vibes, I guess."

He didn't agree with his band-mate. There wasn't anything wrong with Jaejin. He was just like any of the other actors around them. What could he have done to Hwiyoung, who was literally one of the nicest people Taeyang knew? "Did he do something?" Taeyang said.

Hwiyoung mumbled something incoherent in response, so Taeyang decided to drop the subject. After listening to the conversations of everyone else and finishing off his own bottle of soju, he decided he needed to clear his head. He stood up from the table and took a step outside.

It didn't take long for Hwiyoung to follow after him. None of them said anything for a long minute. Taeyang wanted his head cleared. He didn't want to think about anything. 

Hwiyoung started humming and reached over to grab Taeyang's hand. He held it inside of his jacket pocket. They stood there like that, without a word, before Taeyang couldn't take it anymore. 

"Are we ever going to talk about the kiss?" he blurted. He felt Hwiyoung squeeze his hand. 

"What about it?" the younger asked, like it wasn't something important in the moment.

Taeyang was a little hurt. What the hell was going through Hwiyoung's head? "Well, I-"

He was interrupted by the doors opening behind them. He slipped his hand out of Hwiyoung's. Sarang stepped out of the doors, grumbling about something. 

"I hate going to these things," she complained to no one in particular.

"Then why'd you come?" Hwiyoung asked. 

"Because my manager requires I be social and accept invitations to these things." She pulled her phone out of her purse and dialed a number. "Hwiyoung, Producer Lee wants to talk to you. I'll see you guys tomorrow." Sarang then met Taeyang's eyes, and subtly glanced at Hwiyoung. "Good luck," she mouthed. She walked away with her phone to her ear. 

When Hwiyoung went inside, Taeyang took the opportunity to call their own manager. He dialed his number while re-adjusting his mask and hat. His hand still felt warm from Hwiyoung holding it. A small smile took over his features. 

SF9's manager answered and Taeyang began explaining that they needed him to come pick them up when he heard the door open behind him. He turned, expecting it to be Hwiyoung, but it was Jaejin instead. 

From watching him earlier, Taeyang knew the other male wasn't drunk. He hadn't touched a single drop of what the producer bought for everyone. 

Jaejin smiled at him and nodded towards the phone. Taeyang took the hint and finished the call before talking to Jaejin. 

"I have a confession," Jaejin said right as Taeyang said, "Hi."

"What is it?" Taeyang asked. He had some idea what Jaejin could say next, but ultimately, he had no clue. 

"I like you," Jaejin told him. 

Taeyang sucked in a breath. He wasn't expecting that. But it made sense. Hwiyoung and Jaejin had been fighting over him. He was the reason his two friends didn't like each other. Taeyang didn't know why this made his heart jump. 

"Jaejin," he said. "I'm sorry, but I don't feel the same."

"I know, I know," the older male said. "But I'm giving you options. What's so great about Youngkyun?" Taeyang opened his mouth, but quickly shut it again when Jaejin started talking once more. "Sorry, that was out of line. I suck at this. Look, I'm sure you know both me and Hwiyoung have feelings for you. You're closer to Hwiyoung, so there's more of a chance that you'll choose him, but I'm asking for a single chance to show you that maybe I could be the right one for you."

Taeyang blinked a couple of times. He almost pinched himself. Did he pass out in the middle of his phone call with his manager and now he was dreaming?

He used the only excuse that came to his mind. "Didn't I already tell you that I'm not ga-"

Jaejin nodded. "Yes, I'm aware of that, but the dance scene at the wedding, the way you kissed Hwiyoung back like it was no problem, said the exact opposite. Even now, the way you look at Hwiyoung-"

"I can't," Taeyang interrupted. He saw Jaejin flinch and immediately felt bad, but he didn't apologize. 

"One chance. That's all I'm asking."

Taeyang shook his head. Even if he did give Jaejin a chance, there was no way it would change anything. Jaejin was just a friend. That was it. 

"There's nothing you'll be able to do that'll change my mind," Taeyang said. "I'm sor-"

He didn't get to finish his apology. His mask was pulled away from his face, and next thing he knew, Jaejin had kissed him. 

--------------------

a/n: 🥰