CHAPTER ONE

dépaysement 

(n.) when someone is taken out of their own familiar world into a new one.

[...]

"But I don't want to take medicine anymore, big sister."

"Then be a good girl and stop going out in the rain, Lou."

For the past hour, the woman has been patiently arguing with the child who vehemently refused to take the prescribed medication for an uncomfortable sore throat. Little Lou was a sweet and kind girl most of the time, preferring to stay on the outskirts of the village rather than explore the forest beyond, knowing the dangers that awaited her. But she also knew how to be stubborn as well as any child who hated the idea of ​​being stuck at home and resting. And for the past few weeks, this has been a common scene for (Y/N).

"Let's make a deal then: you obey me and I'll take you home and bake an almond cake for you on the weekend, and as a bonus, I invite that handsome Adeptus. What do you think?"

The girl's eyes sparkled.

"Really?"

"I keep my promises," the woman blinked, "But only if you stop running around in the rain. He won't come to you that way."

The girl nodded eagerly, "I promise big sister (Y/N), I'm going to take my medicine and not go out in the rain anymore."

(Y/N) smiled at the ease with which she persuade the little girl, but the dendro mage also knew her promise would be a challenge since the adeptus in question was a surly man who stubbornly denied any interaction with mortals. Although Xiao avoided any contact with humans, he maintained a strange and few-word friendship with (Y/N) after she created a potion that eased the agony of his karma. That didn't mean this little date wouldn't yield her the adeptus' bad mood.

After checking on and talking with the child some more, (Y/N) left for her own house.

Qingce village was a small and humble community. Most of the residents were elderly and retired people who liked the tranquility the place provided, and some few young people who looked forward to the day they'd go out to explore Teyvat.

Although it wasn't a busy place and with many people of her age group, (Y/N) liked the place. From the moment she settled in Qingce, she was quickly welcomed and loved by all the villagers — from the loudest children to the curmudgeonly elders. And the fact that she was good at both combat and the medical arts gave her credit as a trustworthy person.

(Y/N) lived alone in a cabin farthest from the village, though. It was a pretty long walk home, but being surrounded by nature was instinctive to the woman who manipulated plants with the power of her vision. Also, as much as she loved interacting with the villagers, she preferred to be alone after years of having solitude as her companion.

Back at home, the intense aroma of spices and the sweet fragrance of flowers were the first to receive her.

The interior of the house was the typical expected chalet design. Small and cozy; with rustic walls, a shelf full of books and potions ingredients, and a fireplace that she loved to sit in front of on the coldest nights and enjoy the warmth of the fire with a nice cup of tea. It was simple, but it was her home.

Crossing the only hallway was her bedroom. (Y/N) silently walked to the door and opened it slowly, afraid the creak of the wood might wake up the unknown man still sleeping in her bed.

Now, that wasn't a sight she'd usually expect to find when she got home.

Two nights ago, when she was returning at dusk from another check-up of one of her village patients, the woman had found herself in the midst of combat when treasure hoarders mistreated the body of an unusual-looking man. The mercenaries aggressively advancing against the stranger's weak body, as if his strength and bravery in standing up were an impediment to their goal. However, it was an unknown presence and the agitation of nature, as if the forest itself could not bear the idea of ​​witnessing the aggression against that man, that made (Y/N) take a step forward in the battle.