Chapter 1

When the bell over the door jingled, Caroline Barlow felt a shiver of dread moving down her spine. She'd been working at Tasty Treats for almost two years now, ever since she was sixteen.

Every Tuesday and Thursday at five-thirty, the cheerleaders and the football team come in after their practice is over during the school year. Well, the football team, the basketball team, or the wrestlers. What group came in all depending on what sports season it was at school.

Some of the girls who joined the teams changed with the season. However, one girl didn't change because she cheered for every sport. That one exception was Reva Johansson, the head cheerleader of all the different cheer groups.

Reva made it her job to make Caroline's life at work, well, school too, as miserable as possible. You see, Reva is tall, slim, and has the most beautiful auburn hair, full of curls and shine. She's also athletic and popular.

Caroline, on the other hand, was clumsy, slightly nerdy, and short. She also had dishwater blonde hair and was somewhat chubby. Well, not chubby exactly, just bigger than Reva. Reva might wear a size four, and Caroline did well to stay in her size twelve.

Just big enough for Reva to call me names. Sadly, Caroline figured that even if she were a perfect size two, Reva would still find a reason to call her names. Reva started as my friend years ago when we were young. However, circumstances changed that, and now for some reason, Reva enjoys pouring on the hate when it would be better to ignore me altogether.

"Oh look, our favorite little worker is here," Reva sneered, and the other girls laughed along, so did some of the guys.

Caroline ignored her the best she could and waited for the first guy to step up in line. When he finally did, she politely asked, "What can I get you this evening?"

"I'll just have the number ten special with a coke," the guy, whose name is Ben, answered.

So, one by one, they stepped up to take their turn. It went on for the next twenty minutes or so until everyone had ordered. Then Reva stepped up to the counter to take her turn.

"Alright, whale girl, make sure you get this right," Reva said snottily. "I want the number three special. Make it the chicken wrap today with grilled chicken. I don't want onions or mustard, just a little mayo, lettuce, and cheese. Instead of fries, I want a side salad with fat-free ranch dressing and a diet sprite."

Caroline repeated it back to her to make sure Reva didn't change her mind about what she wanted. Reva had done that to her once before, and when she'd gotten her order, she swore Caroline had it wrong and sent it back for a refund. This time though, Reva nodded, and Caroline sent the order through.

The bell over the door jingled again, causing both Caroline and Reva to glance over.

Suddenly, Reva had a big smile on her face.

Caroline's heart kicked into overdrive as Andrew swaggered through the door with a grin and a wave to his friends.

Andrew, in Caroline's opinion, was the dreamiest guy in school. He had light brown hair and brown eyes. He was tan, with an athletic build that could cause a girl to drool all over herself.

Caroline was no different. She drooled right along with the rest of them when nobody was looking. She had always thought he was a nice-looking guy, but freshman year, he'd lost his little boy cuteness and matured into a handsome man. That was when her crush had begun. Yet, except for a polite hello now and then, he never gives her the time of day.

Of course, with him being a jock and extremely popular, his kind and mine don't mix, she thought sadly. But oh, how I wish they did.

"Andrew, honey, where have you been?" Reva questioned him as she headed toward him.