Part 1 Chapter 2.5 Plans in Motion II

Plan Three

“I assume this is all part of one clever giant plan?” Anders asked. They were now riding down to the base of the hill, leaving the grunts and curses of the artillery men as they hitched the cannons to horse.

Noble nodded.

“And I assume it will involve putting ourselves in great personal danger as we accomplish feats of daring heroism?” They were now rejoined by the dragoons acting as couriers on the bottom of the hill.

Noble nodded

“And I assume you are not going to tell me any part of it until it is too late for me to say ‘no’?” They were galloping around the base of the hill, to where the Carabiniers-a-cheval were nestled between the hill and the bramble woods.

Noble nodded again.

Anders sighed, despite himself. “Well all right, brother. What next?”

Noble held up three fingers and pointed to carabiniers in the clearing.

Anders, Noble, and Jean LoveCross, the Lord of Horse to the regiment, discussed matters under a large elm. He held his red crested helm in his hands and listened to the two marshals speak.

“So you wish every man to dismount and walk,” Jean balked a little at that word, “their mounts through this forest? That is infested with voltigeur sharpshooters?”

“It must be as Noble says it must be.” Anders replied.

“Well if it is how Noble says it must be, then let him gather the nerve to tell me.” Jean gave Noble a haughty stare down his nose.

“Tell me LoveCross,” Noble said, trying to stare the taller man down, “is it pride, or fear that makes a carabinier worry about going without their precious black horses.” Though they were not like the fabled steeds of the Dar’Shum, the carabinier’s large mounts were intimidating. The carabiniers were truly a sight to behold: resplendent in their back and front plate cuirass worn over white coats, and red crested helmets, and their grand sabres, all sheeted in bronze. The carabiniers where the largest and most veteran cavalrymen, and thus considered themselves the elite of the military arm that was known for their elitist behavior.

Anders tensed as Jean gave Noble a dangerous look: though Noble and He held the batons of command, Jean was Lord of Horse for the campaign and thus of equal battlefield status and, as commander of the fearsome Carabiniers-a-cheval, had considerable prestige. “I did not say they would not do it, Noble, just that they would not like it.” He was a consummate cavalry man, and would let no one tarnish their pride.

“What do they not like? The walking, or the chance to fight the entire Hostrian regiment? Are they scared to take on the legendary Hostrian cavalry?”

Ander’s watched Jean’s eyes take on an onyx glint as his Affinity flowed into him. He carefully exhaled his onyx breath, and spoke slowly. “Calling a carabinier a coward is a sure way to get a slow sabre in the back.”

“Is that a threat?” Noble placed his hand on his dragoon pistols, and raised his eyebrows in amusement.

“No”, Jean sighed, “we will follow your rust for brains plan, Noble. They are always fool hardy clever. But-” Jean pocked Noble’s chest with his finger, “it doesn’t mean I have to forging like your plans!”

“If you follow my plan, maybe your boys will learn how to fight proper, and we will be able to make the Hostrians ‘forging dislike my plans’ as well.”