Chapter Three: Guess Who's Also in Town?

Start from the beginning

Kat immediately walks over to my bed, already having seen my bedroom, while Danny and Jake just wandering around, looking at my stuff. "What do you guys want?" I ask, as Danny picks up and looks at one of my action figures, while Jake studies my bookcase.

"Well, your mom thought it would be a good idea if you showed us your hometown." Of course, my mother would do that. Why not have her son show his friends the two he grew up in? Does she not realize that I planned on not leaving the house the whole month we were gonna be here?

"Do I have to," I asked with an annoyed voice, looking directly at Kat. Her, of all people, should know my hatred of this small town. She gave me the big puppy eyes that, to be honest, never worked on me. She explained to me that Danny and Jake really want to sightsee. I countered that they could look around without me and that there really isn't anything interesting.

The outcome of our disagreement was she won, I lost. Her winning argument was that we passed a music shop when coming over and that a few strings on my acoustic had broken and I need to get new ones. I couldn't think of anything else to say, so I gave in. And off we went to explore Ellwood.  

As I said, Ellwood is a small town with small businesses, including the music shop we were headed to. The store's called Main Street Music, and it's been for as long as I can remember. Everyone decided to walk there, but after convincing them that walking two miles to get to downtown was a heat stroke waiting to happen; we took my mom's old blue car that she's had since I was born. With the windows all down and the music playing loud, it almost felt like we were in Los Angeles again, but the moment my eyes landed upon the shops I've seen my whole life; I desperately wanted to turn the car around and drive far away.

I pulled into a spot in front of a flower shop I always wanted to go into, but never did. Main Street Music was just across the street from us. Everyone got out of the car, while I took my time. Everyone had entered the store, as I got to the sidewalk and looked up at the old sign with the store name and a guitar. I just couldn't believe that this place was still around. The moment I opened the door, little bells overhead rung, and I was greeted with a blast of cold air that made the hairs on my arms stand on end. I looked around at the brightly lit room, with different models of guitars on the wall ahead of me. Countless instruments lined the walls, while around where shelves of strings for guitars basses, foot pedals and cymbals were all I could see. There was even a light brown piano in the back of the room.

I walked around the store, checking out the merchandise that was a lot less expensive than the stuff I'm used to. I see Danny's head checking out the bass guitars along a wall somewhere, while Kat was studying the drum display. And Jake was somewhere, probably with Danny, but I couldn't see him. I was checking out bags of steel strings when a voice nearby scared the crap out of me.

"Can I help you with anything?" An innocent question, but I was caught off guard by the sudden, deep, male voice. So caught off guard that I nearly jumped out of my skin and sent the bag I was holding flying out of my hand. Hear tracing, I looked at the person who scared me to see a handsome, youthful face that looked oddly familiar. He has a bemused smile, as if trying to contain his laughter. I only scowl at him, sending him a death glare that cold probably kill, but he was still alive. Note to self, work on death glare.

"Can I help you," handsome guy repeated, still smiling at me as if I was a little kid. I'll have you know, I'm five-eleven, but apparently the guy in front of me was at least six feet.

"No, just looking," I reply, a usual response whenever one asks if you need help. I turn to walk away to the other side of the aisle to avoid the employee, but he didn't walk away like the usually do when you turn them down. Instead, he stayed right where he was, even having the audacity to lean against the display, resting his arms on the top and placing his head on his folded arms. He was staring at me with a confused, but concentrated look like he was trying to remember something. I felt my body flush from his gaze, embarrass that he stare straight out staring. My pale cheeks felt a little too warm for my liking.