Chapter 17

Harry decided to visit his only neighbours to tell them what had happened that morning, so he strolled across the wide meadows in the direction of Sirius’ Manor. Keket bounced by his side, turning in circles a few times to take the new scenery in.

“You’re welcome to go and explore,” Harry told his beastly friend. “Just don’t eat the coos.”

Keket tilted her head in obvious confusion.

“The big, hairy things with the horns.” Harry sighed in annoyance when Keket still blinked oblivious eyes at him. “The cows, Keket. You know what a fucking cow looks like. Don’t eat them.”

Keket clicked in amusement at Harry’s frustrated response and then she loped off, looking like the nightmare version of a calf being let out into the pasture on the first day of spring.

“Dumb beast,” V cawed in a very judgemental tone while he glared after Keket.

Harry chuckled and shook his head. “Sometimes I think she’s actually smarter than the both of us.”

V had nothing to say to that, but just turned his beak up in the air while releasing a haughty sniff.

For all that Harry had packed up Black Manor and moved it to its current location, he’d not yet set foot inside of it. He’d been far too busy putting his new country to rights, but he was curious what the building looked like on the inside.

Remus opened the door after Harry pounded on it a few times. “Harry! Come in. We’re just going over some plans for the remodel.”

The house had a lovely dark feeling to it, not as intense and suffocating as Grimmauld Place, but it was undoubtedly a home where many generations of dark wizards and witches had lived. They found Sirius and James in a large study, with several blueprints spread out on a table.

“You’ll never believe what Dumbledore did this morning,” Harry said before his godfather could even greet him. And he then told them all that had happened, leaving nothing out. Well, except for the bug that V ate, since Harry still had no idea who that had even been.

“I’m not sure if it was such a good idea to tell Barty Jr about the prophecy being fulfilled,” Remus said carefully while both James and Sirius snickered at the idea of Harry being kidnapped by Fawkes.

“Actually, I think it’s pretty smart,” James said, much to his friends’ surprise. “I much prefer that Voldemort knows Harry is not his prophesized enemy, to be honest.”

“Well, when you look at it like that,” Remus mused with a thoughtful look.

“Tea for the Master and his guests,” a high-pitched voice suddenly said behind them, and Harry turned around to see a small creature with large ears carrying a tray full of a tea service.

“Thanks, Dilby,” Sirius said, gesturing for the elf to put it on a nearby coffee table. It had to be a house-elf, Harry thought. He’d heard about them often enough from his family, but he’d never actually seen one.

“Hi,” Harry said, addressing the house-elf as he crouched down to get a better look. “I’ve never met one of you before. It’s a pleasure.”

Dilby looked at Harry with wide eyes before ducking his head. “Oh, Master’s guest is being too kind.”

“You are a creature of magic, aren’t you?” Harry asked with a small frown. “Have you been with Sirius for long?”