🎀𝗣𝗮𝗿𝘁 𝗘𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁🎀

By the end of midday, Fred had skillfully crafted several sets of fresh, personalized garments for Michael, pieces that had impressed the young man beyond belief. It was almost an exact replica of the styles he usually wore back before he had wound up in his current situation, and he hadn't even showed Fred any samples that could have given the dressmaker such detailed ideas. It had blossomed purely from Fred's observations, and his work had proved just how talented he was. He had more or less correctly predicted Michael's unerring taste.

And he had done it marvelously too.

Upon Fred's insistence, Shoula had taken with her the stunning gown that she had earlier been encouraged to try on, and even though she was a little reluctant to have taken it without need - she had to admit that she loved the design.

It was now moving closer to the afternoon, and the young pair had long left the dressmaker's store, taking a few detours here and there - touring the place further. Shoula hadn't missed a beat at showing Michael all the most noted sights that he needed to see, but as time wore on - the only thing he really saw was her.

She was so deft at concealing the parts of her emotional state that were more troubled, and it was clear that she did that for the good of Michael, and not herself. She smiled and chatted as she walked alongside him, but Michael could see that there was a deep longing in her eyes when he paid closer attention. It made him sad to see her putting on a brave face despite the encounter she'd had with Francine back at the store.

Outwardly, Shoula appeared very delicate, but there was no doubt about her inner strength. Perhaps Michael hadn't known everything about her, and perhaps he didn't have enough to base his conclusion on, but anyone could see that she harboured an unimaginable amount of pain inside herself, pain that she buried deep down where no one else would be affected by it. It was also deeply hidden pain that remained concealed because of her lack of trust in anyone other than Fred.

And now, as unexpected as it was, Michael had already found himself beginning to care for her, in spite of having only very recently met her.

"And there is the bakery," Shoula pointed to the large building that stood across the road, the scent of freshly baked pastries drifting through the air, straight toward them. "Do you want to try something from there?" she turned back to look at him with an eager smile. "Oh I already know the perfect thing for you to try!" she grabbed his arm, pulling him along with her across the street.

He laughed as he followed her, subconsciously picking up on the warm feeling that coursed through his veins at her touch, a feeling that felt like home.

When they had finally crossed the street to arrive in front of the bakery, Shoula took a moment to survery the display rack through the window, her face lighting up further as her eyes landed on the pastry that she'd hoped to see.

At once, she pulled Michael with her into the bakery, earning another laugh from him as he took a look at the variety of pastries as well, having never seen anything like it before.

Unfortunately, the sight of a familiar face stopped both Shoula and Michael in their tracks, throwing a dark quilt over the energy in the room once more.

"Ugh, again?" Francine eyed Shoula with even more disgust than before. "This is far too many times to be running into a degenerate," she laughed maliciously, making it known that her insult was aimed solely at Shoula.

Shoula stepped forward to snap back, but was taken by surprise when Michael spoke before she did.

"I don't think you're in any place to be making such bitter remarks," Michael tried to be as unproblematic as possible, hoping not to make Shoula anymore victimized than she already was. "Such disrespect shouldn't be leaving the lips of a lady. You are a true lady, aren't you?" his eyes were hard.

Francine's eyes shot to Michael, her attraction toward him intensified by his mild defiance. She could see that he was not happy about the way she had spoken to Shoula, but somewhere in her mind she believed his disapproval would only be temporary.

"Of course I am," she straightened up in a seductive manner, earning a snicker from Shoula. "I am the mayor's only daughter, a true woman of this valley," she moved her shoulders slightly, flashing Shoula another snobbish tipping of the chin - asserting her dominance.

"Then do show a bit of courtesy to the lady by my side," he replied, causing Shoula to turn to him in a rather sudden moment of surprise.

That was the first time anyone had ever truly stood by her without any shame.

Francine broke into a haughty laugh, waving him off. "That is hilarious. She is no lady," she scoffed.

"To me she is, and a fair bit more, if you should know," he quipped back. "It'd be nice of you not to disrespect her, especially in front of me,"

He had no idea as to what he was doing, but he was doing it anyway.

Francine raised her eyebrows, eyes moving back and forth between them before settling on Michael again. Subsequently, a devious smirk tugged at her lips, one that slipped by unnoticed. She had undoubtedly come up with a contemptuous thought, inspiring what she did next.

"Alright then, I'll oblige," she forced a smile. "Why don't the both of you come to the ball this weekend?" she suggested. "Perhaps I can...make up for my behaviour today,"

Shoula laughed out in disbelief, knowing Francine better than to immediately assume she was being genuine.

"It is a sincere invite," she faked yet another smile. "I'm sure Shoula can find something appropriate to wear if she tries hard enough," she giggled bitterly as she sauntered toward the exit, brushing past them in the process. "It is a privilege to be allowed into the mayoral house, so I suggest you think about it," she batted her eyelids. "I expect to see you there," she paid them an artificial wave before finally leaving the store.

"She is unbelievable!" Shoula exclaimed, a little bit annoyed by Francine's fake pleasantries. "Sometimes I just want to...strangle her," she huffed, setting her hands on her hips. "You don't actually intend to go to the ball, do you?" she turned to focus on Michael again.

He shrugged, cracking an elusive smile down at her. "Honestly, not if it's without you," he admitted with a little laugh, causing her to lose her sense of comprehension for a split second.

The blush that rose to her cheeks was as clear as day, but there wasn't a chance of her acknowledging how flustered she was. Opening her mouth, she stammered out the first, random words that formed in her mind.

"Well....then.....you....clearly haven't seen everything in Thornflower Valley yet," she waved her hand, walking closer to the pastry display in order to avoid eye contact with Michael.

His smile widened when he caught sight of how shy she was, his own heart fluttering as he moved to join her.

Now he was certain he was falling for her, much too soon.

✧•៚ ⋯⋯⊰•❥