Thirteen.

13. TIME'S UP

——

"Who's that girl with you last time?"

Sanzu almost winced when he felt the coldness of Mikey's voice ringing in his ears. He sighed before he looked up to the male, sitting on top of a barrel.

"Who?"

"Come on, man. I saw you with that h/c haired female in a clothing shop. You both seem close." The scar faced threw a single glance at Rindou who's obviously the one who snitched him.

"That's the owner of the art gallery."

"Ah— the multi-millionaire," Rindou beamed, jumping on his soles before walking towards Sanzu. He immediately draped his arm around the pink-haired male and inched his lips closer to his ear, whispering. "Either way, the transaction is over and successful, so why were you still with her?"

At this point, it was inevitable for Sanzu to feel the sudden urge to hit his friend on his nape and just knock him to sleep.

"I don't know what you're talking about—" he was cut off when Mikey himself, their gang leader, climbed down his pretend throne, his coat sliding from his broad shoulder.

There was no smile on his face, the dark circles under his eyes were the concrete evidence of his sleepless nights. Each of his steps felt heavy and Sanzu could feel that.

Once he was in front of the number two of Bonten, he held him on his shoulder forcing him to bend down. "I told you to not make connections with anyone outside the gang, didn't I? Do you have so much time to date?"

"I was not dating her, boss—"

"Shut up, it's no use lying. You promised you'll dedicate your life to me, you belong to me, Sanzu."

Haruchiyo couldn't argue anymore. All he said was the truth.

While he was on his knees, Sano Manjiro was the one who saved him and lifted him up, giving him a new reason to live— but that was before his dark impulse took over.

If he had to say, he was not the mikey he knew, he was not the mikey he swore loyalty.

"I'm sorry—" his apology was cut off when he felt a sharp object piercing his lower abdomen, blood immediately oozing from the blunt cut.

"Do that again and you'll experience more than this." The white haired male walked away, wiping the splash of blood on his pale hand then throwing the knife he used somewhere.

Sanzu cupped his stab wound. It hurts, but he knew he wouldn't stop wanting to see Y/n. He knew it will end soon, so he'll try to savour their remaining moments.

Or so he thought.

Time was running out and his patience snapped at every inconvenience.

He peeked over his shoulder to look at Y/n who's walking closely behind him, eyes downcast while she's biting nervously on her fingernails.

This made him sigh, forcefully stopping his steps and turning around. "What's wrong?"

But she didn't respond, seemingly absorbed by her delusional thoughts. So, pissed by her behavior he pulled her hand away from her mouth and strained her chin to face him.

"Hey, what the fuck is wrong? Are you that hungry you're eating yourself?"

That was when she finally snapped back, eyes meeting Sanzu's blue ones. "i-I'm sorry."

"Your head is somewhere else. You said you wanted to eat lunch with me."

"Yes, I did."

The male's eyes squinted, fully aware of her dilemma, yet he couldn't be the one to open the topic about the police investigation. He knew that once that happened, he had— no he must leave her side.