Chapter 26

Settling into their new routine both were adjusting to life together, Waverly spending her days cleaning the house, making their meals, continuing her research, the latter no longer the most important element of her life. She spent half her time at Nicole's computer working on her PhD, the other half researching where they might go. Nicole would arrive home early evening, change, ask her about her day, watch a film together. It was cosy, it was complete, it lacked direction.

Nicole's end date had been agreed, one month after her formal letter of resignation being accepted by the Commissioner. She seemed more than happy to be leaving behind a career she spent so many years fighting for recognition, making no mention of what she might do afterwards.

The meal ready, Nicole was seated at the table, not one to miss out where food was involved. Waverly placed a bowl before her, watching as Nicole's hand hovered over the fork, ready to pounce and devour all that lay before her. She was tempted to let her eat, let her finish before bringing up what was on her mind. "I've been thinking," she began, bringing over her own bowl.

Nicole's attention was torn between pasta verde and Waverly's comment. "Okay. Wow, this looks good."

"Volunteering."

"Perfect."

"We could take some time off, find a project we both might enjoy."

Nicole's eyes remained on the pasta. "I'm in. Shall we start?"

Waverly giggled. "Grow food."

"I had one snack bar for lunch."

"Start."

Nicole tucked in without a moment's hesitation. "So good," she said, after several mouthfuls. "Where?"

"Costa Rica."

"Interesting."

"There's a community."

Nicole put down her fork, wiping her mouth with a paper napkin. "This isn't running away is it?"

"I'll finish my studies, I promise. Right now I need to do something else. With you."

"I'm happy to live in Chicago. Grow food there."

"You're giving everything up for me."

Nicole eyed her food. "I will find a job. In fact, I've something I'm looking into. It doesn't pay much, but it's a start."

"What?"

"You'll laugh."

"I won't."

"Security guard at a museum."

Waverly laughed. "Sorry, sorry. No, I shouldn't, but is this your Ben Stiller moment?"

"Ha ha. You give me gum gum."

"See, you do watch films."

"With you. It's one we watched together."

"It won't be enough for you."

"Compared to here, it'll be beyond exciting. You can do your thing while I chase museum exhibits that mysteriously come back to life. Perfect combination."

"I don't know. What if we try it for a few months?"

"Do you want to go?"

"Only if you want to."

"Waves, do you want to go?"

"It would mean digging into savings. I have some."

"Is this what you want to do?"