Chapter 22

"No, I'm good. Waves, check again. I swear I put them in there."

Waverly dangled the keys before Nicole. "Sorry, that's mean of me."

Nicole lay back on the pillow. "I'll forgive you this once considering how my body feels."

Waverly released the cuffs, placing them beside the bed, letting out a sigh as Nicole wrapped her arms around her. "I don't want to be anywhere else right now."

"That's good," Nicole replied. "Don't think I'm going anywhere. This is perfect."

"You're not mad at me?"

"About the keys? Had visions of me explaining this to the fire department."

"I dragged you all the way to Egypt. I wanted to call."

"I want to see the world with you. I want to find remote beaches where it's only us, where the only sound is the ocean. I want to see where your skin tans and where it doesn't. I want to lick salty water from-"

Waverly placed a finger over Nicole's lips. "I just want this moment. Forever."

Nicole lay in Waverly's arms, home at last, about to fall asleep when she heard Calamity outside meowing to come in. Relenting she opened the door, grabbing her hoodie as the cat sauntered in, jumping on the bed, making herself at home. A quick tidy up downstairs, she returned to the bedroom to find both asleep, squeezing herself in, content in the knowledge her girls were safe.

She was up early the next day, coffee on the go, about to prepare breakfast when she heard Waverly's phone buzz, retrieving it from the lounge, tempted to unlock it to see who might be sending a text. Deciding not to pry she carried a tray to the bedroom, Waverly still fast asleep. "I've made you this," she said, placing it on Waverly's side, kissing her on the forehead. "I've got to go."

Waverly mumbled something, turning over, Nicole tempted to crawl back into bed to be with her for a few more minutes at least. She knew she couldn't be late, not having spent time away from the station, donning her uniform after a quick shower, heading out to begin a day's work. Her deputy was already at his desk when she arrived, looking up as she made her way to her office. "Saw Nate in the bar last night," he said, as she removed her coat. "Asked about the farm."

"Did he?" she replied, her face remaining expressionless.

"Reckons it must be out near Chilliwack."

"Does he?"

"Reckons double the number of cattle as his?"

"Five times," Nicole countered.

Her deputy returned to his paperwork, Nicole now feeling guilty at having deceived those in the town she was meant to be protecting. Still, if it kept Nate from hiding cats in order to win her affections it was a lie she was happy to continue, for now at least. Settling in for the morning, about to tackle budget forecasts for the year ahead, her phone rang. "What's up?"

"I've...the FBI, they have my number."

"Waves, it's okay. I spoke to someone who's looking into the raid."

"You never said. God, I think I made a mess of it."

"You spoke with him."

"I...I had to. He left a message. It's the FBI."

"What did he say?"

"He's there. Wants to meet me."

"You didn't say where you are?" Waverly fell silent. "It's okay. Waves, it'll be fine. Do you want me to call him?"