1:6

Penelope Martinelli's POV

"Are you sure you don't wanna check out the team?" Peter asks when we stop by the old gym doors. "You could just try it once to show off to everyone how smart you are and then you never have to go again.

"Peter, as much as I would love to flaunt my insane intellectual ability, I want to keep a low profile. The less people I meet the easier it is to leave at the end of the semester," I remind him.

"You seem to be getting close to Shane considering you're leaving at the end of the semester," he grumbles.

"C'mon, don't do that. He's been nice to me. And I'm just giving him the satisfaction of being able to say he got a 'date'," I  make air quotes, "with the new girl within a week."

"I would tell you that that's a selfish thing to do, but he could use a taste of his own medicine." He sighs before continuing, "I just want to make sure that you're okay. He's known for his one night stands and I don't want you to be forced into anything you don't want to do."

I'm tempted to snap at him for thinking I can't defend myself, but I know he doesn't think that. He's just looking out for me and he knows more about Shane's past than I do so he has a valid point.

"I know, but you gotta remember who I grew up with," I lightly laugh.

"Fair, fair," he looks down. "So, I'll meet you on the field after school?" 

"Yep! Have fun answering smart people questions!" I smile obnoxiously at him.

"Have fun on your date," he draws out the last word to make fun of me. I laugh and look down to hide my face. Peter always knows how to make me laugh. When I peer back up, Peter has his eyes on me with that dopey smile on his face.

"Go!" I chuckle. "Mr. Harrington won't like that you're late for the second time this week."

Peter shoots up, gives a quick wave, then leaves just as quickly to practice. 

And now I can meet Shane in peace.

()()()

Surprisingly today, Shane is already sitting on the bleachers waiting for me. He's never been late to our meet ups, but I always show up before him. 

"Hey, stranger," I greet from behind him. He turns around, surprised, and holding a small box.

"Hey, Penny," he says back. I sit down next to him and lean back against the rails behind the back row.

"What's in the box?" I ask out of curiosity. I keep my eyes on the field where marching band is practicing for the game tonight.

"Oh. Well, I remember yesterday you said that Peter calls you Poppy  because you like lemon poppyseed muffins, but you always would pick out the seeds. So, I got you a plain lemon muffin!" He hands me the small cardboard box.

"I didn't think you would remember that," I say slowly and quietly, fiddling with the twine around the box. "That's such a random thing about me." I look up and realize how much closer we're sitting together today than any other day. 

"I remember a lot of things," he states, his eyes trying to pick which one of my own to look into. I can't help the butterflies taking off in my stomach. I haven't been this close to a boy since Pietro, and I couldn't recreate that immediate spark even if I tried.

"That must be why your so smart," I try to start some banter while scooting back a bit to create some space. I remind myself that it's only been my fourth day since meeting him. I barely know him.