Chapter Twenty Three

Start from the beginning

Amelie was still smiling as she dried her hair, while I mopped the bathroom floor. Music was playing in the background, and I pulled on a pair of jeans before kissing Amelie's hand and jogging downstairs. I brewed some coffee, then pulled a top over my head that had been drying in a room downstairs.

Amelie came down ten minutes later, wearing a pair of dark jeans and a low cut top, a necklace resting on the neckline. She grinned as I passed her a fresh mug, and a plate of warm croissants smothered in chocolate. The sliced strawberries beside them were drizzled with sauce, and the smell was only beaten by Amelie exaggerating her playful moan as she began eating breakfast.

"I actually want to do this today," I waggled my fork at her, "stop teasing."

"But its funny," she giggled, "what's the plan then."

"Eat," I pointed at the half eaten croissant on her plate, "and drink," she sipped her coffee as I spoke.

We finished quickly enough, and I grabbed her knitted sweater that she liked to wear in the wintery weather we were still experiencing. It would almost be Christmas, and she was trying to get me to knit more for presents for everyone. Not that I had the time.

She slipped her shoes on as I dug through the shoe rack, waving various children's shoes in her direction, "where have mine gone?"

"They're on the bottom shelf," she pointed over my shoulder, "just there."

I huffed, "I'm the tallest one here, who is burying them at the back," my back cracked as I twisted it, and I caught Amelies eyes widening.

"Bucky are you okay?"

"I'm an old man," I grumbled, rubbing it gently but it was just the noise, nothing worse luckily. I yanked the shoes onto my feet, and pushed myself upright, "come on doll, otherwise we'll be late."

I led her out of the door, careful that she didn't slip on the little bit of ice that was on the drive. She clambered into the car, and by the time I sat down she was already playing some music.

I stole a few glances in her direction as she hummed, then yawned, and dodged out of the way just in time as she stretched and almost poked my eye.

"Sorry!" She peered at me, inspecting my ear which was beginning to warm from wear her ring hit my skin.

"Its okay," I laughed it off, then realised she would have the same feeling, "is your ear okay?"

I could see her shrug out of the corner of my eye, her finger tracing the lobe of her own ear, "nothing broken or bleeding."

"Well that's good, otherwise I would have to rearrange this whole day."

I drove carefully, aware that the cold weather would affect my speed. I didn't do a lot of driving until I met Amelie, and although we had been together a little while I wasn't too used to driving on the road as a citizen.

As a Hydra agent, I had vague memories of not really caring about my safety.

But I was a father and husband now, and that fact scared me senseless.

"Bucky? ... James?" I almost jumped as I heard her soft voice.

"Yeah?"

"You did get D'Arcy up this morning right? Sam didn't come in and just get her from her room?"

I turned to stare at her once I'd pulled up to a red light, "Why would I let Sam get D'Arcy ready by himself? Could you imagine what a mess that would be?"

She spluttered her laugh through the hand she held over her mouth. "Sorry," she ran her palm over her hair, "I just can't believe I slept through it all."