Part Eighteen

FLASHBACK CONT…

Three months had passed and Aston and I were still going strong. After the initial hiccup in our relationship we’d taken a step back, doing our best to stay out of public view until I grew more comfortable with the scrutiny from the press and the boys’ fans.

“I’ve never been so nervous for a recital before,” I told my school friend Camila.

“You’re never nervous.”

“I know…” I sighed, wringing my hands in my lap.

We were sat backstage at the old theatre in our school, our annual end of year recital upon us. It was my last year at the school and I was both sad and excited for a final performance. Not only were my father and stepmom in the audience, but Aston too.

“Why are you so nervous?” Camila asked me.

“My boyfriend is here.”

“You mean the popstar?”

“Yeah,” I replied, “I’ve played for him before, but never a proper show like this.”

“You’ll be fine.”

“Also he’s never met my Dad and my stepmom before…”

“Jess, you’ve got this.”

I gave her a weak smile as she was called up to get ready to go on. Inside I was freaking out. I don’t know why but I was feeling particularly pressured to impress. It was after all just another school recital!

“Jessica Rego, you’re next,” someone called out about ten minutes later as Camila was just wrapping up her violin solo.

“Shit,” I muttered, standing up and smoothing out the dress I was wearing. It was a pretty formal event so I was in a full on gown, a navy blue silky number I’d found online. It was somewhat low cut in the front with a v-neck, and the bottom came up to mid-shin in the front, the back going all the way to my ankles. The dress was plumped out with some tulle, and I felt sort of like a Disney princess wearing it. Especially with my hair swept back in a fancy updo and teardrop earrings that shimmered under the stage lights.

“Your sheet music?” someone asked me as I stood in the wings of the stage.

“I don’t have any,” I smiled, watching them push the grand piano into the middle of the stage, Camila coming back off stage having just finished her performance.

“Good luck,” she grinned, winking at me as they announced my name and I was pushed out on stage.

I sat down at the piano and carefully fixed my dress so I could comfortably press the pedals of the piano. A quick glance to the audience had my heart in my stomach, the nerves becoming stronger as I sweat under the bright stage lights.

“You got this Rego,” I whispered, touching my fingers to the ivory keys.

The second I did I felt at home, the song flowing out of me as I got lost in the music. It was something I’d written in one of my classes, an upbeat tune about falling in love.

I guess it was kind of based on a true story.

When I was finished I stood up and gave a small curtsey, the crowd standing before me clapping wildly. I let out a deep breath and found my father and Caroline, and then my eyes caught Aston’s in the back of the crowd. After another quick curtsey I went off stage, giving Camila a hug as I sat back down.

One more performance and the recital was over, the head of the music school going out to wrap up the show.

“We’d like to hand out a few awards,” she announced, “Starting with most promising first year…”