The New Man In The Mirror

Hello everyone. This is my first attempt at writing for more than just my friends and I. I would love feedback on anything I can do to improve. Although I will not be upset if you tell me that you love it either.

PROLOGUE

Have you ever woken up and knew that your day was going to turn bad? I still wish that I was given even that much of a heads-up. I am a homicide detective with twenty-two years on the force. I have put away serial killers and psychopaths. I can stare down the barrel of a gun and think of ten ways to escape without a scratch.

I don't say this to brag. I just find it odd with all my knowledge I can't figure out a way to fix what has happened to me. In one day the world I knew ended. In one day everything changed. In one day I died, became a husband, and a father all at the same time

It will be easier to explain if I start from the beginning. I was born David Jones Lamont in Chicago, Illinois. After two tours as an Army Ranger I returned home and joined up with Chicago PD. For twenty-three years life was perfect. After five years I joined Narcotics and brought down some of the biggest drug dealers in the state. Seven years later I found I was starting to burn out and before it destroyed me I transferred to Homicide.

In homicide I found my calling. For seven years I partnered with Gerald Rafite, a forty-three year old detective with twenty years on the force. Gerald taught me everything he knew about catching a killer and just as much about life. Within just a year he became not only my mentor but the best friend I could ever ask for. Gerald refused to ever let a killer go free because he or I screwed up even a little so he taught me every single procedure for collecting evidence and refused to tolerate any shortcuts. After seven years of frustrating the hell out of defense lawyers together Gerald decided it was time to stop living life behind a gun and start living it behind a fishing pole with his grandkids. That meant it was time for me to break in a new partner.

That was when Adele Perry came into my life. Adele was the most beautiful woman I had ever laid eyes on. The moment I saw her I fell head over heels, the only problem was that she was also my new partner. I knew that whenever partners became romantically involved it was a crap shoot. There has only ever been two ways for a romance for partners to go, either they make it work and have such strength together that not even God could break them apart or they crash and burn with more force than an asteroid. For two years Adele and I kept everything completely professional, I was determined not to cross the line. After that I was out maneuvered.

Working three months on the deaths of four people where every single suspect seemed to have and air tight alibi we figured it out in a slam dunk case where the son of a bitch got life without the possibility of parole. Adele and I went out on a celebration and as has become our custom after solving a case we went to her place afterwards for a shot of Jack. This time was different however; instead of sitting across for me she maneuvered me to the couch and sat down next to me leaning against me so that I had no choice but to put my arm on the head of the couch and around her. That was when she moved in for the kill.

"Two years, David. Two years we have seen each other every day"

I couldn't see where she was going with this so I just agreed.

"So then; why are we stuck as only partners? Anytime we are in danger I trust you with my life and I know that you do as well. So why is it that we can trust each other with our lives but not with our hearts?"

Over the last two years I had thought of a million reasons why it would be a horrible idea but at the moment it counted I couldn't even think of one. I leaned in and kissed her. The kiss turned passionate and we headed to her bedroom shedding clothes as we went. In that night we crossed the line.

For three years everything seemed perfect. We moved in together and there was even talk of marriage. During that time things turned the wrong direction. Adele was incredibly untrusting even though I refused to see it at first. She always seemed to think that I was trying to cheat on her or planning on ending the relationship. The time came that I couldn't take anymore and I did just that.

After ending things with Adele I decided I needed a change and transferred to New York. I needed and new life. I went into the squad room and met my new partner Jerry Marsh. It is amazing to me that when I first met him I had no idea that the man in front of me was who I was destined to become.