twenty-three | you deserve this

Start from the beginning

"Oh thank you," Ashlyn beamed at the girl.

"Hey do you mind if we...?" the blonde asked. Everyone agreed and leaned in to take a picture with the girl. She took the picture and then started to type rapidly on her phone. "I made sure to tag you, Ej."

Lucy let out a small fake laugh and smiled at the girl facetiously when she turned her attention to Lucy. Ej wrapped his arm around Lucy's shoulders reassuringly and Lucy's smile brightened as she looked up at him. The taller boy smiled knowingly down at her and shook his head to reassure her that she had nothing to worry about. She was always going to be his number one from here on out.

"So, did you finally decide on a song?" Ej asked, swinging his and Lucy's hands back and forth as they walked down the hall later.

"I think so," Lucy nodded in confirmation. "It's gonna be great, I'm excited."

"Which one did you pick? You were tossing up between like three," Ej reminded her with a chuckle. Lucy giggled as she looked up at him.

"That's for me to know and you to find out," she teased, poking his nose on the last word. He chuckled at her and released her hand, throwing his arm around her shoulders as they continued down the hall.

"Ahem, alright! As you all know, this year's auditions will be a two step process. One, a group vocal warm up to the classic song Belle, and two, a song of your choice. Whatever shows you off the best," Miss Jenn told them. Lucy smiled up at Ej who grinned reassuringly at her and gently nudged her shoulder. "Okay, circle up, take your neighbor's hand. For a moment of silent reflection."

Lucy knew exactly what was about to happen.

"Certain as the sun..."

[Lucy to camera]

"Yup, saw that one coming a mile away."

[Presently]

"... Rising in the east. Tale as old as time, song as old as rhyme. Beauty and the—" Miss Jenn was cut off by Ricky coming in through the auditorium doors.

"Guess he decided to come after all," Miss Jenn commented.

"Is this Mamma Mia 2? Cause here we go again," Carlos added, earning a snort from Lucy who buried her head in her own shoulder to muffle her laughter.

The warm up started a little after that and Lucy was fighting through her nerves with every line of the song.

"Little town, it's a quiet village," Carlos started them off, "every day, like the one before."

"Little town, full of little people, waking up to say," Kourtney continued.

"Bonjour."

"Bonjour!"

"Bonjour?"

"Bonjour!"

"Bonjour!"

"There goes the baker with his tray like always, the same old bread and rolls to sell," Ricky sang, playing with his necklace nervously.