Chapter Sixteen: Monday

I told Emily I wanted to be there extra early on Monday morning, so we were out the door by 6:40. I stopped at Java Script, which was a coffee shop where aspiring authors hung out all day, and ordered something for everyone. I got an iced coffee for Emily, JJ, and myself, a black coffee with two sugars for Aaron, a chai tea latte with nonfat milk and no foam for Garcia and Callahan, a cinnamon roll cold brew with almond milk and extra sugar for Reid, and some expensive hot dark roast coffee for Rossi and Morgan. I also got a bunch of doughnuts, muffins, and pastries and got back on the road.

I was nervous the whole way to the building, in the parking garage, and in the bullpen until I saw Aaron. He was on the phone in his office, but just seeing him made me feel better. I got his attention and motioned for him to join us.

"What's all this?" He asked.

"A little welcome back. I'm sure you didn't have breakfast this morning either, so take something to eat." I said, opening the box for him to grab a pastry. "What time is the meeting?"

"Actually, I was just on the phone with Bartley and now he wants it to take place in his office. He has a meeting until about 8:30, then we're good to go up whenever. Wait, why are you here so early? I don't think you two have ever been the first ones here."

"We're turning a new leaf."

"Speak for yourself, I'm only here for the coffee. If I get woken up again tomorrow as early as I did today, I swear I'm shooting you." Emily threatened as she took a seat at her desk.

"How's Jack?"

His face lit up. "Good, he was really excited. We got a pizza and he was full of energy, so he stayed up pretty late with me. He had a soccer game yesterday and I caught up with Dave and JJ afterwards. How was your weekend?"

"I think I have a stalker. Some guy sent food to my apartment on Saturday— my favorite meal from my favorite restaurant." I grinned.

"I sent you my favorite meal from my favorite restaurant. You like Carmine's?"

"I love it. We'll have to go there some time."

He took a step away from me. "Incoming."

"Valerie! Hotch!" Garcia yelled excitedly as she ran over to us, forcing us into a group hug. Even Reid, who must've given her a ride, joined in. "When did you get back?"

"Saturday night." I answered, handing them their drinks. "It's so great to see you both! I've missed you so much."

"Not as much as we've missed you. You cannot do that to me ever again or I will seriously be mad at the Director."

"One step ahead of you there." Reid said. "I'm glad you're both okay."

"We should all go out to dinner this weekend or something."

"I hope I'm invited." Morgan said, sliding between us to give me a hug. I wasn't surprised when my feet left the ground. He always gave the most comforting hugs.

"Definitely not." I laughed. "I hear you moved in with Savannah, so I hope she can come too. How's she doing?"

"Beautiful as always, just like you. Woah, who's this hunk of meat next to you? I don't remember you being so buff, Hotch."

"Right back at you." He chuckled. "And you must be Agent Callahan."

A brunette woman— the woman from the pictures on my desk— nodded. "That I am. I feel starstruck right now, actually. You two are icons in my book."

"That's what I like to hear. Everyone step aside so I can give this good woman a hug." I directed. They all complied immediately and revealed a pregnant Kate Callahan. I embraced her, but didn't take my eyes off of Aaron. She could definitely be Sharon's next victim because she'd be so easy to control. She would do whatever it took to protect the baby inside of her. He subtly shook his head at me.