12. I Need To Know

"Let's eat first," I said quickly, trying to buy more time.

Cookie jumped off my lap and I got up to load the plates with food. Bondy helped set the table and got drinks. It felt strange sitting face-to-face with Bondy for dinner. He's the one who usually eats at the table while I sneak away to eat in my room. Goes to show how I'm the reason why we've drifted apart. I couldn't bare to look him in the face so I looked down at my plate, moving my food around with the fork.

"Ya feeling better now?" Bondy asked casually, putting a forkful of food in his mouth.

"Yeah. Loads," I replied. It got quiet so I continued on. "Thanks for checking on me."

"Of course. That's what friends do."

He was still upset about last night and had every right to be. I leant back in my chair trying to formulate a response to that. There was no malice in his words. He didn't say it to be mean; he wanted me to know how it felt.

"I'm being watched," I started.

"By Cookie?" Bondy asked, grinning. I lowered my gaze to see the damn dog waiting for me to drop something but I couldn't help but chuckle.

"That's not what I meant! But damn it, he's watching me too." I ducked under the table and tried to shoo him away with my foot. "You can't eat this food. Your food is over there!" I chided, pointing at his bowl. Cookie didn't budge so I gave up.

"Who are you being watched by?" Bondy questioned, steering me back to the conversation.

"Liv."

"Isn't that a good thing though?"

"Yes and no," I answered. "Things don't add up. Based on our interactions, her name is Liv and she works as an accountant at Moss Adams. She and my ex-workmate Dan supposedly went to school together. Do you know what I found out?" I waited for Bondy to say something but he didn't so I continued on. "Dan told me he was paid to pretend to know her and I couldn't find a Liv that worked as an accountant at Moss Adams."

It was starting to make sense to him. He sat there wide-eyed, mouth agape.

"And you got drugged. Do ya think...?" I simply nodded my head to confirm his suspicions. "Do you know who she is and what she wants?"

"I checked the flat and couldn't find anything missing so she's not interested in stealing from me. Also, why go through all that just to steal from me?"

"So what do you think she wants then?"

"I dunno. That's what I'm trying to figure out. I'm certain she drugged me for a reason. All I can think about is her wanting information."

"What information?" He was alluding to something, wanting to know the double life I was living but I'm not ready to tell him that.

"Fuck if I knew...."

I used the fork to grab a piece of chicken and stuck it in my mouth. Me telling Bondy this seemed to soften him up as I could tell he was less bitter about things and was in a better mood. We later changed the subject to something else and I listened as Bondy droned on about the drama at work. Since I cooked, Bondy washed the dishes and I took the opportunity to shower before retreating to my room for the night. Even though I go to bed early, I don't actually fall asleep right away. I'm usually on my phone trying to catch up on what I've missed.

Liv and I still continue to message each other through text messages. She hasn't shown any signs of knowing that I know. On a whim, I decided to ask if she was up for meeting again. Despite hating hiking with a passion, I suggested a beginner hike at Rattlesnake Ledge and we could grab food after. Ya know...gotta make it so she can't say no.