River

Rafe stepped away from me, shaking his head.

"No. Topper is my best friend. There's no way he would do this." His face twisted with disbelief as he motioned to my face.

"You really think I would lie to you?" I questioned. I put my hands on my hips, watching Rafe as the gears in his head turned.

"I remember what happened." I continued.

Rafe didn't say another word before storming out of the house. I looked out the window, watching him speed out of the driveway.

"Fuck." I breathed, rubbing my face.

What is he going to do? I thought to myself.

Nerves set back in as I paced the room.

"River?" My dad knocked on the door. I could hear the concern in his voice.

"It's nothing, dad." I reassured, not giving him permission to come in, "We just had a fight."

"Do you want to talk about it?" He asked through the door.

"No." I replied, sitting in the bed.

His footsteps retreated as my mind raced. I pulled my phone out, pulling up Rafe's contact. I pressed call and put the phone to my ear. It rang once before going to voicemail.

"Goddamn it." I groaned and laid back on the bed.

I have to find him, before he finds Topper.

...............................................................

"Dad!" I came storming out of my room, throwing my hair into a messy bun.

"River? Are you okay?" My father jumped up from the couch, bewildered.

"I need to use the truck." I replied searching for the keys.

"River, I don't think you should be going out. You just got hurt last night."

I stopped and looked at him.

"Dad, if I don't go right now, something really bad could happen. Please just trust me and I'll explain everything." I pleaded. That was the best thing about our relationship, we had trust.

He nodded and pulled the truck keys out of his pocket. With one quick toss, they were in my hands.

"Thanks, Pops. I love you." I kissed him on the cheek before bursting through the door.

I pulled my phone out and dialed Harper's number.

"Hello?" She answered.

"Be ready, I'll be there in 10." I instructed before ending the call.

I threw the truck into reverse as I burned out of the driveway. It was a hot a humid day in North Carolina. The wind filled the cab of the truck, making my stitches ache. Harper was standing outside when I arrived.

"What's going on?" She asked, climbing in the passenger door.

"We have to find Rafe." I replied, stepping on the gas.

"What? Why?" She asked again.

"He's going to kill Topper." My eyes didn't budge from the road but I already knew what her face looked like. Shocked.

I pulled up to the Cameron residence and punched in the pin for the gate.

"Stay here." I told her before climbing out of the truck and walking to the front door.

I pressed the doorbell and my heart raced as I waited.

Sarah answered and my heart jumped into my throat.

"Hey, River. I heard what happened. Are you okay?" She asked with a concerned look on her face. She studied my injuries. At this point, she probably knew more than I did since I hadn't looked in the mirror yet.

"Is Rafe here?" I ignored her question and got straight to my agenda.

Sarah shook her head.

I turned back around to the truck.

"I thought he was with you!" She called after me as I jumped back into the drivers seat.

"Do you have Topper's address?" I asked my sister.

"I don't have it, but I know where it is."

"Show me."

"River.. Is this really the bes-" Harper began. She wore her concern on her face.

"Harper. Show me." I insisted, putting the car in drive.

..........................................................

As we arrived at Topper's house, my heart pounded in my ears so loud, I couldn't hear Harper's nervous babble.

What I saw in front of me indicated I had acted at the right time.

Rafe was getting out of his car.

I threw the car in park and jumped out.

"Rafe! Rafe!" I yelled, running over to him.

He grabbed my arms and held me back.

"No, River. Leave." He said, his face cold and angry.

"This isn't a good idea." I told him.

"I don't care. He did this to you." Rafe pointed at the stitches in my face.

"Hey, man. What's going on? I didn't know you were coming over." Topper's voice came from behind Rafe and my eyes widened.

A deep growl escaped Rafe's throat as he whipped around and went straight after Topper.

"River!" Harper yelled, jumping from the truck, slamming the door.

Her red hair bounced as she ran over to me.

"I don't know what to do." I breathed, shaking.

Rafe swung, his fist meeting Topper's jaw, who returned a punch.

"Rafe! Stop!" I screamed, stepping forward. Harper grabbed my forearm.

"Don't. You're going to get hurt." She pleaded.

The boys wrestled to the ground. Rafe having the upper hand, then Topper. My mind raced, trying to think of a way to stop this.

Dad's gun, I thought to myself, racing back to the truck. I yanked the door open and grabbed the handgun sitting in the glovebox.

I walked back over to Harper, who watched the boys fight in horror.

"They're killing each other." She cried.

I cocked the gun, hoping to get their attention.

Nothing. They continued exchanging blows.

Here goes fucking nothing.

I held the gun over my head, pointed at the sky. My finger shook as I placed it on the trigger. Harper shook her head and covered her ears. With one quick movement, I pulled my finger down, releasing the shot. Both boys flinched, looking around wildly. Rafe's eyes widened as he looked at me, gun in hand.

I pulled the gun back down, clicking it into safety as I shoved it into the back waistband of my jean shorts.

"River." Rafe breathed, his face bloody.

I walked over to him and grabbed his arm, slamming him into the side of his car.

"Get in your fucking car and follow me." I commanded.

Topper looked utterly confused.

"Don't you fucking worry," I shifted my attention to him, "I'm coming for you."