Lost & Found

My mouth formed around the word over and over, but my disbelief kept my voice from muttering it again. I shook my head, trying to pry myself away from the stupor as she raced toward Ruth, whose fractured moans filled the cold space.

"M-Mary Anne... where is he? Is h-he s-safe?" Ruth stuttered, squeezing the hand of comfort placed on her chest.

Her dark trenchcoat rustled as she slowly turned to me. "He's safe," she said before turning back. "Ruth, you know you don't have to do this."

"This w-was always... always the p-plan. M-Maybe not his, b-but m-mine," she whispered, struggling to breathe. "A... Avian..."

The pain lining my name quickly brought me to my feet. Running to the meek call, I knelt beside her, feeling the emotions swell, then fall from my face. "I'm here. I'm here."

She moved her hand to my wrist, grasping it as she winced. "Y-You p-p-protect m-my... my daughter. D-Do you hear m-me?"

I furrowed my brow, watching the luminous ribbon of an aperas datio wrap around my forearm. "What? No, no—I can fix this. Please... please don't do this."

"I c-can't fight f-fate... b-but, you c-can." Her breaths softened as they shallowed. "The g-grail is at t-t-the hills-s-side..."

The warm light faded with the sparkle in her eyes. Her hand dropped from my wrist and tears became streams. I folded my arms, rocking back and forth, hoping the nostalgic movement would dampen the ache. But, I only felt more.

A sharp crackle immediately followed a flash of light. Blue's fearful stammering bounced off the walls while he hurried to Krysta with Donovan at his side. The twins rushed over to an unconscious Eve—moaning, twitching—while soft footsteps approached me from behind, accompanied by heavier ones.

The sound of Maddie's voice provided a glimmer of mercy inside an overwhelming darkness. "It can't be..."

Maestro's surprise matched his sister's. "Avian's mom?"

She brushed off her knees as she stood, glaring at both of them with a frigid stare I never knew she had. "Don't call me that."

Slowly shaking her head, she picked up her fedora and moved toward the portal, leading to the fort. Maestro helped me to my feet, asking, "That's her, isn't it?"

Confusion twisted around grief, making comprehension impossible. My puffy eyes widened. "It is. But... it isn't."

"You guys—we need to get outta here!" Anthony called, carrying Eve.

"He's right," Natalie agreed. "This place is about to get really crowded."

One by one, they entered the portal, along with Donovan, Blue, and Krysta. Maestro patted my shoulder before following suit, smiling as he glanced at his sister.

She took a step forward. The recollections I had recollected washed over the sorrow, not erasing, but diluting—not masking, but alleviating. My mind skipped back to that wayward child, 9-years-old and standing on a football field, while he experienced a kiss which would echo throughout his adolescence and carry him to the present. The pair of charms on a sterling necklace, the sweet taste of candy hearts, the red flannel shirt on a gift-wrapped hanger—it all happened. Then, it happened again.

Her voice quavered. "You remember me, don't you? You remember us."

"I remember. And it was just as amazing the second time around."

"Avian! Come on!" shouted my mother's icy double.

"But..." I turned, looking down at Ruth. "We can't leave her."